Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My roommate in the group home's son is dying and I don't know what to say! I asked all the wrong questions and was told if I couldn't say anything helpful to not say anything at all!

I was devastated and of course started crying again. . .

I wanted to know when she would be leaving to be with him (a touchy subject I found out later, because she didn't have a ride) what was causing the liver failure, why was his temperature 107, etc.

I didn't know what to say. Maybe you can help me out.

lovelyrics
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
That is a difficult situation for anyone to deal with.

How about saying, "I'm so sorry," and sitting in silence for a bit? Sometimes people can be comforted without saying a word, and sitting with them quietly is helpful.

Giving them a hug if they are up for that might be helpful, too, though with a situation like this it can be overwhelming. I find it is best to ask if a hug would be okay - it can put some people over the edge when they aren't ready to deal with the emotions that physical contact can bring up.

Blessings to everyone involved in the situation.

Cassandra
No. of Recommendations: 0
Cassandra, thanks for the pointers. . .I am so awkward when it comes to situations like this. . .I try to remember what was comforting to me when my DH died and I remember what meant the most were those little Quincy stories people came up with thereafter because my DH was bigger than life and very flamboyant with a million tall and not-so-tall tales. . .

My roommate has gone to be with her son and we have heard nothing from her yet as far as I know.

Thanks again,

lovelyrics
Advertisement