UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76095  
Subject: Re: Simple Investing/Retirement question Date: 4/9/2011 3:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
What trouble? You keep track of your non-deductible IRA contributions. That strikes me as some fairly basic addition that most third graders are well-equipped to handle....
I've tried to make this as complicated as I could. I still don't see an accounting nightmare. It does require the responsibility to keep track of things from year to year. The IRS even helps out with this as everything you do need to track from year to year is on Form 8606 which is a required part of your tax return any time you make a non-deductible contribution or a withdrawal from an IRA after you made a non-deductible contribution. That's one lousy piece of paper (or two if you don't print on both sides) that you have to keep track of from year to year.

It is an accounting nightmare, despite anybody's fancy handwaving that it isn't.

"Any 3rd grader"?? Right. How about when the 3rd grader is now 30 years later in life, has moved 5 times, born & raised 3 kids, has been laid off & hired a few times, perhaps gotten divorced & remarried, and is now in his 5th year of retirement. Oh, and it has been 20 years since the last time he has needed to file form 8606, and now realised that he probably shouldn't have tossed out all of his ancient tax forms 10 years ago.

All for a trivial benefit.
Consider the case where you've made $5,000 in non-deductible IRA contributions. But now at retirement your total IRA accounts amount to $250,000, and you have an RMD of $9124.

2% of that is non-taxable (5000 / 250000), and 98% is taxable.
Non-taxable amount is $182. Being retired and therefore in the 15% bracket, the tax savings is $27.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement