UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71781  
Subject: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 5:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
WASHINGTON (AP) — When black voters gave President Barack Obama 93 percent support on Election Day in defiance of predictions that they might sit it out this year, black leaders breathed a collective sigh of relief.

http://news.yahoo.com/black-voters-look-leverage-loyalty-081...

When 93% of black voters vote for a black president, when everyone else splits their votes more or less evenly by something other than skin color, what were black voters thinking? In my vocabulary that is racism pure and simple. Dangerous.

Denny Schlesinger

BTW, is there such a thing as a White Caucus?
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/cobb/101120
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Pipilongstocking Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65487 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 9:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Us white folks who disagree with liberals are so racist!!

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65488 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 9:41 AM
Recommendations: 5
Pretty much every minority group went heavily for Obama ... which conveys a different message than picking on blacks specifically.

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65489 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 9:53 AM
Recommendations: 20
In my vocabulary that is racism pure and simple. Dangerous.

Denny Schlesinger

This statement shows once again your opinion of your intellect is inflated beyond reality.

"Blacks" have voted in numbers nearly as high for white Democrats for years, largely because someone like you would fit so nicely in the Republican party.

B

Author: PinotPete Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65490 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 10:22 AM
Recommendations: 1
While it is tempting and oh-so-easy to attribute black voters choosing a black candidate for race alone, it probably has at least as much to do with part affiliation and Romney alienation of the black vote.

The past record of voting is not far off from Obama's recent scores. For example:

Clinton got 83 percent of the black vote in 1992 and 84 percent in 1996; the third-party candidate Ross Perot probably sliced away some of Clinton's black support. Al Gore got 90 percent in 2000; John Kerry got 88 percent in 2004. Obama captured 95 percent in 2008, and 2 million more black people voted than in the previous election.

http://news.yahoo.com/black-people-support-obama-because-hes...

I think the enthusiasm factor of finally having a president of color - Harding excepted;) - certainly captured several percentage points, though.

Pete

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65492 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 11:05 AM
Who'se picking on blacks? Get real!

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65493 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 11:09 AM
Recommendations: 3
When 93% of black voters vote for a black president, when everyone else splits their votes more or less evenly by something other than skin color, what were black voters thinking? In my vocabulary that is racism pure and simple. Dangerous.

Denny Schlesinger

If it were Jewish presidential candidate they would get 93% as well.

Denny try looking in the mirror and see your shame.

Dave

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65494 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 1:10 PM
Gay 76%
Black 93%
Hispanic 71%
Asian 73%
etc.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president/exit-pol...

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65495 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 1:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
Denny try looking in the mirror and see your shame.

That type of thing didn't work out that well for Narcissus.

Except for the name and a few other changes, when you talk about Denny...

B

PS Apologies to Neil Diamond.

Author: Carpian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65496 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 4:57 PM
Blacks voted for Obama in high percentages because he's black? I thought people only voted for Obama because they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings who just want handouts.

Author: mustbefriday One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65497 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 5:08 PM
Recommendations: 7
BTW, is there such a thing as a White Caucus?

I know Denny has me on ignore because I once had the audacity to point out what an ignorant clown he was and that he should use his limited intellectual capacity to analyze simple things like stocks.

However, in case another of you would like to inform him, the "White Caucus" he is wondering about is called the GOP.

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65498 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 6:14 PM
the "White Caucus" he is wondering about is called the GOP.

More like the dufus caucus if you ask me. :<)

Personally, I'm a little sick of old white men being blamed for the nuttiness that is the GOP.

B ( a.k.a old white man.)

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65499 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 7
Blacks voted for Obama in high percentages because he's black? I thought people only voted for Obama because they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings who just want handouts.

It is important to know how to handle inductive logic. One group might have voted for Obama because they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings who just want handouts AS YOU SUGGEST and the other because he is black. There might be quite a bit of overlap as well.

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65501 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 8:38 PM
As usual, Denny, you are busy harping on some theme which apparently makes sense sense to you, bit which doesn't really hold up to a larger context. If African-Americans had voted disproportionately for Obama and every one else had mostly split down the middle, then there might be an interesting question ... although, frankly, given the history African-Americans have been through, then having "one of their own" to vote for would hardly be surprising. But, it isn't just them. It is almost every identifable minority. That's a different story ... one about figuring out that the GOP was mostly for things that were for old white rich guys. When the country was founded, that's who could vote. This is no longer true ... and I think it is a good thing.

Meanwhile, how about if this exchange moves somewhere else, since we have been doing well post-election of staying on topic. This crap is not.

Author: Carpian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65502 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/23/2012 11:22 PM
Recommendations: 6
One group might have voted for Obama because they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings who just want handouts AS YOU SUGGEST and the other because he is black. There might be quite a bit of overlap as well.

As I suggest? I'm just parroting back the standard ultra-conservative party line. I tried to do it in a way to make it sound too absurd to believe, but apparently I didn't succeed.

Clinton received 84% of the black vote, Gore got 92%, Kerry got 88%. Obama's 93% isn't such a huge bump from those numbers. Race doesn't appear to be a major factor there. 78% of Mormons voted for Romney. Are you equally appalled by that, or do you just consider them an abnormally intelligent group? :-)

Author: ferjen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65503 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 8:23 AM
Clinton received 84% of the black vote, Gore got 92%, Kerry got 88%. Obama's 93% isn't such a huge bump from those numbers. Race doesn't appear to be a major factor there.

You're ignoring that the absolute number of black voters that turned out for Obama vs. the others you list was considerably higher in comparison. If there is an issue, it would be not in just the increase in percentage, but also in the increase in volume.

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65504 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 8:39 AM
Recommendations: 9
Meanwhile, how about if this exchange moves somewhere else...

How about you moving somewhere else?

since we have been doing well post-election of staying on topic.

You have posted zilch that's worth while investment or otherwise so I fail to see what you are talking about. I don't need you to tell me what to post. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. There is a frowny face button that you can use to make it easy to ignore me.

This crap is not.

The only "crap" I find here is your constant desire to exert mind control over NPI posters. I'll post what I want to post. If you don't like it, don't read it. It's easy!

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65505 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 9:46 AM
As I suggest? I'm just parroting back the standard ultra-conservative party line. I tried to do it in a way to make it sound too absurd to believe, but apparently I didn't succeed.

I just wanted to make sure no one got the idea that it was my idea. Thanks for clearing that up.

Clinton received 84% of the black vote, Gore got 92%, Kerry got 88%. Obama's 93% isn't such a huge bump from those numbers. Race doesn't appear to be a major factor there.

That's an interesting statistic and relevant to the thread. Thanks!

78% of Mormons voted for Romney. Are you equally appalled by that, or do you just consider them an abnormally intelligent group? :-)

Had I know about it, yes, I might have a similar reaction. I say "might" because, as far as I know, I have never interacted with a Mormon. I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir but am somewhat appalled by Mr. Smith's Mormon religious practices.

On the other hand, I have had a lot of contact and dealings with black people. Professionally my second boss was black and he was arguably the best one I ever had. My boss at Colgate-Palmolive was black and he later became my business partner. Venezuela has a large black population and we have been electing black presidents long before the USA ever did. While some people display a marked dislike for blacks they are the exception. Racial integration is us. I've sailed the Caribbean extensively for several decades and I've seen the transformations happening. In the 1960s there was a terrible segregation in Trinidad, whites, blacks and east indians. They have since learned to live together. Grenada was another interesting experience. In 1967 I was badly treaded by a black fellow there. By 2000 racial harmony had taken over. The only place where I was actually threatened by a black man for being white was in the USA, in the American Virgin Island of St. Thomas around the year 2000. Another interesting experience was Haiti where full blacks discriminate against mulattos which also happens in the USA.

Venezuela has a very mixed ancestry of while, black, native plus a sprinkling of this and that, the later arrivals -- much more of a melting pot than the USA. Unlike the Pilgrims, the Conquistadors didn't bring white women to the New World. During the colony the Creoles wanted to get royal grants but the Spanish crown was totally racist, any blemish on your family tree made you ineligible. The records were kept by the church. The Creoles who wanted to get ahead practiced "improving the race" usually by two means: marrying their offspring to lilly white mates and bribing the clergy to erase blemishes from the family tree.

Over forty years of observing mankind and reading relevant history shows me that while in many places the races have learned to live together in the USA the tension remains palpable and the blacks themselves contribute to it, specially by the urging of the Democrat party. Anti-discrimination became a system of quotas, of reverse discrimination which is no better than the social illness it tries to cure.

BTW, I too am a descendant of a persecuted minority but I have made my peace with my persecutors. It took me a while but less than two generations. Factoid: Germany provides the U boats to Israel.

To get back to your question, as long as the Democrats continue to play the race cards, racism will remain alive and well in America. Did Romeny play the Mormon card? No. Does the GOP play the religion card? Yes, and it's as evil as the Democrat race card. People really should vote the issues, not the skin color or the faith. Self interest most certainly is what elections are all about. But self interest centered around skin color or faith is terrible.

Denny Schlesinger

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65506 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 10:59 AM
What exactly is your contention, Denny? Given that African Americans have voted heavily Democratic for years and given that pretty much every other minority, whether racial or not, has also voted Democratic, isn't the base assumption that this means these groups find that Democratic values and actions are more suited to what is important to these people? Rather than some mysterious assertion that Democrats are playing a "race card"? Is it a race card to care about minorities?

No doubt you in depth understanding of race relations around the Caribbean leads you to many profound insights ... I just don't think it is particularly relevant to the question at hand. Near as I can tell, your point is a version of the Romney "gifts" remark, but specifically aimed at a particular racial group.

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65507 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 11:22 AM
It is important to know how to handle inductive logic. One group might have voted for Obama because they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings who just want handouts AS YOU SUGGEST and the other because he is black. There might be quite a bit of overlap as well.

hey....I consider Banksters lazy batards........do I have incorrect thinking because they are over paid?

Dave

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65508 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 11:26 AM
The only "crap" I find here is your constant desire to exert mind control over NPI posters.

oh oh.......we are pushing the parniod side of things......and that is not Denny's fault or problem.......

no wonder he off shored himself......

btw....a poster.....not posters.......

Dave

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65509 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 12:49 PM
Meanwhile, how about if this exchange moves somewhere else, since we have been doing well post-election of staying on topic. This crap is not.

http://boards.fool.com/as-usual-denny-you-are-busy-harping-o...

What exactly is your contention, Denny?

http://boards.fool.com/what-exactly-is-your-contention-denny...

Who the Hell do you think I am? A puppet whose stings you can pull at will? When you learn to respect your peers I'll give you an answer.

Denny Schlesinger

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65510 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 1:25 PM
Say something that earns respect. So far, you seem to be ignoring data that people give you, data which puts quite a different complexion on things than the one you seem to be trying to spin. This is exactly the kind of ignoring reality in favor of the wishes that had Republican pundits predicting a Romney landslide.

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65511 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 3:13 PM
Recommendations: 4
Say something that earns respect.

Yours? There is no profit in it. LOL

Author: Carpian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65512 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 4:56 PM
Over forty years of observing mankind and reading relevant history shows me that while in many places the races have learned to live together in the USA the tension remains palpable and the blacks themselves contribute to it, specially by the urging of the Democrat party. Anti-discrimination became a system of quotas, of reverse discrimination which is no better than the social illness it tries to cure.

I think there are a lot of different perceptions of the state of racial harmony in the US. I have seen allegations of persecution that I felt were overblown or outright falsehoods, and certainly if one is inclined to want to blame someone else for one's own dissatisfaction with their life, and one is a member of a minority, that is an avenue that is readily available. On the other hand, I don't doubt there are many legitimate instances of discrimination and racial profiling as well.

I live in southern California, where there is a lot of diversity and in the circles I run in, I feel things are pretty good for the most part and getting better. But I recently spent a few days in St. Louis, where my observation of the limited segment of the culture that I saw was an overwhelming system of blacks serving whites. The bus drivers, hotel staff, food staff, airport porters, etc. were virtually all blacks and serving a white clientele. In that situation, and given the overall history of treatment of blacks in the US, I don't begrudge any black person for wanting to see another black person in power, to give them some symbol of hope for change.

The overriding issue facing the US these days seems to be how to get the political parties to work together to some reasonable extent, or at least to be civil to each other--although I know you've said you like political gridlock, Denny. :-) But as long as the conservatives hold on to the view that people mainly supported Obama for inane reasons like his race or that they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings (that's my paraphrase again of the view that even Romney expressed in his infamous "47%" remark), what possibility exists of any kind of working together? How do we get from there to where we need to go? It would be great if discussions, editorials, etc. going forward on the national stage could focus on how to best solve the many problems we face, rather than focusing on what idiots Obama's supporters are.

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65513 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 7:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
.... what possibility exists of any kind of working together? How do we get from there to where we need to go?....

I excluded the bias from your otherwise excellent question to make answering easier. Do the same as the Funding Fathers did in the Constitutional Convention. Bargain until you have a deal. Don't compromise. Bargain.

Denny Schlesinger

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65514 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/25/2012 2:17 PM
I excluded the bias from your otherwise excellent question to make answering easier. Do the same as the Funding Fathers did in the Constitutional Convention. Bargain until you have a deal. Don't compromise. Bargain.

Denny Schlesinger

It is much easier to embarrass the Republicans in office till they are voted out.

not only is it much easier, but it is far better for the nation.

Dave

Author: wittgenstein Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65516 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/27/2012 11:36 AM

etc.

Racism?

http://now.msn.com/pravda-calls-obama-a-communist

Boy, does it cause a stir when a major Russian news site calls your president a Communist. (Particularly when that news site is Pravda, once the official newspaper of the Soviet Union.) But the old Commie rag doesn’t seem to be afraid of controversy this week as its opinion piece "Obama’s Soviet Mistake" makes its way around the Internet. The biting critique, which refers to the U.S. prez as a "Communist without question" has everyone pointing fingers, many of them decidedly mocking ones. Liberals joke that conservatives finally agree with Russia, while conservatives retort that they do agree with this claim — it was “illiterates” who re-elected Obama.

Obama was elected because of his politics, not his race.
Plenty of blacks I'd gladly vote for even though they're unelectable.

jz

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65517 of 71781
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/27/2012 2:26 PM
Obama was elected because of his politics, not his race.

Possibly.

Plenty of blacks I'd gladly vote for even though they're unelectable.

So would I but that is not the subject of this thread.

Denny Schlesinger

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement