UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37587  
Subject: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/4/2012 8:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I can't believe how some officers don't know enough to stay out of this kind of career-ending trouble:

"SAN DIEGO — The commander and top officers of a San Diego-based Navy frigate have been relieved of duty after a rowdy, booze-fueled port visit to Vladivostok, Russia.

Cmdr. Joseph E. Darlak, skipper of the USS Vandegrift, was removed Friday by Capt. John L. Schultz after an investigation "due to loss of confidence after demonstrating poor leadership and failure to ensure the proper conduct of his wardroom officers" during the three-day September stop, the Navy said in a statement.

Executive officer Lt. Cmdr. Ivan A. Jimenez and the ship's chief engineer and operations officer were also relieved "for personal conduct involving use of alcohol and not adhering to established liberty policies," the statement said."

http://news.msn.com/us/navy-removes-ships-command-after-booz...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37345 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/4/2012 11:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What I can't believe is that there are still ship captains who don't realize they will be held to account for anything that goes wrong under their watch and possibly have their career ruined, whether they are actually at fault or not. Any captain with enough brains to get in out of the rain who gives a rat's rear end about his career will run a tight ship so this kind of behavior doesn't happen, and when the captain's own officers are participating in the misconduct, that sure ad hell isn't a tight ship.

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37346 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/7/2012 10:45 PM
Recommendations: 0
Vladivostok, Russia ain't Las Vegas. But it IS on planet Earth!

{The ad sez: what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.}

Guess those surface guys didn't get the memo on Tailhook!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailhook_scandal

sunray
a man @ Nellis in the last century

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37347 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/8/2012 12:55 PM
They sure as hell didn't. Laxity on the part of the CO is a dog that just doesn't hunt in the US military.

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37348 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/8/2012 3:18 PM
They sure as hell didn't. Laxity on the part of the CO is a dog that just doesn't hunt in the US military.

It damn sure doesn't hunt in the Navy the last couple of years.

v/r
Tom

Author: aegamemnon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37349 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/9/2012 7:12 AM

Guess those surface guys didn't get the memo on Tailhook!

Tailhook is just a footnote in history to the officers in the Navy of 2012. No one under the rank of Captain or Colonel in the Naval services has any memory of the immediate fallout from that incident.

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37350 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/9/2012 7:35 AM
No one under the rank of Captain or Colonel in the Naval services has any memory of the immediate fallout from that incident.
-------------

I taught a missile defense class at Kirkland AFB this week to a grioup of officers and GS civilians, ranging from 2LT thru Lt Col and GS15. About 25 in all. Not a single person in the room (other than me and my fellow Instructor) were in uniform during Desert Storm. Not one.

FWIW,

Yoda

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37351 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/9/2012 9:14 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_Those_who_ignore_history_...

sunray
a man who remembers History

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37352 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/10/2012 9:41 AM
Not a single person in the room (other than me and my fellow Instructor) were in uniform...

This reminds me of a time many years ago, when I was teaching an undergraduate seminar at MIT. This program was sponsored by the Military Science Department, but of course all the students were civilians.

They gave me some strange looks when I greeted them by thanking them for volunteering to enlist!

Grumpy

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37359 of 37587
Subject: Re: What Were These Guys Thinking? Date: 11/13/2012 8:13 PM
We had commemorative t-shirts made when Desert Storm was concluded. (We paid out of our pockets for those - LTG Ward stuff here!) I worked a few overnights in the Ops Center. I still have the t-shirt somewhere; It likely no longer fits. ; )

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement