Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
What you are contemplating is a short term rental that likely does not have a profit motive. That makes your tax reporting problematic. You'd report the rental income as other income (NOT on schedule E where rental real estate is usually reported), and any related expenses would be on schedule A. Since the ACA subsidy is based on AGI, the rental will increase your AGI even if you have enough expenses to offset the income.

Having said that, I like foo1bar's suggestion very much. And not just for the tax reasons. Once you buy the property, it's yours. If the former owners turned tenants don't take care of the place (and they no longer have any incentive to do so), whatever problems they cause become your problems. A contract to purchase, to be completed and closed in a few months would address that issue as well as your potential tax issue.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.