UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Steiner74 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127262  
Subject: Re: YHD Realty/Discount Realtors Date: 1/19/2003 12:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What you say is probably true, however think about it this way: is the agent's time better spent squeezing a few extra thousand out of a buyer or getting the place sold and getting new listings? Why do you think YHD set up a commission structure like this? Just to be different? I believe they think that volume is key and that taking away the variable payment in each transaction incentivizes the agents to get more listings.

I think you're just proving my point. Of course, they're more interested in volume than service. In an age where customer relationship management (CRM) is becoming increasingly more important with companies/enterprises, YHD is not displaying any value to a buyer. When you ask if an agent's time is better spent squeezing a few extra thousand out of a buyer or getting the place sold and get new listings, my answer is that these YHD agents don't spend ANY time on a house after it has been listed (if they are going with the 2% commission schedule). I have not seen the realtor, and I'm pretty sure neither have the owners since he listed it. He's not spending anytime with the buyer or seller, just trying to get more listings.

How is this any different than if you went directly to any other agent? No difference at all from what I saw.

This is very different. If the seller had listed with Coldwell Banker or Century 21, then I'd have my own broker working for me as a buyer's broker, and I wouldn't be responsible for paying a commission. However, YHD forces me to use a dual agent (or get my own buyer's broker, which would then make me be responsible for their commission, and thus making the price of the house more expensive when adding in the commission).

I'm not sure you've explained how YHD or its agents operate any differently then any other agents performing dual agency or how they prevent you from using a buyer's broker.

You're correct...they're not acting any differently than other agents that act as dual agents, but with YHD your choice is either go with a dual agency or pay your broker yourself. Like I said before, I don't like their system, but they did list the house that my fiancee and I fell in love with, so we have to play their game. I'm just not a big fan of them and think buyers are served better if they are able to find a house listed on MLS.

- Glenn
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement