Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
What you say may conform to the tax law. But it is not what Ameritrade had done. I transferred some money from my IRA to either my checking account and some shares to my margin account. I took the average price of the stock for the transfer day and subtracted it from the amount I still had to take out of the IRA to satisfy the RMD. I then sent the rest to my checking account. Now if I look at Ameritrade's web page, it says I still must take out $51 from the IRA to satisfy my RMD, and I did not make a mistake. And in the past, Ameritrade has been quite clear that I cannot convert anything from my IRA into my Roth-IRA until I have taken out the full RMD. This may not be federal law or IRS regulation, but Ameritrade enforces it.

Given that it is possible for you to have multiple IRAs at different brokerage houses, how can Ameritrade decide that your entire RMD must come out of the account that they hold? How do they know that you didn't take the rest of your RMD out of another IRA? This is not something they should be controlling, and so I'd be shopping for another brokerage starting now. I certainly would not wait for another year to see what other restrictions Ameritrade puts into effect.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement