Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
What you will see, which is already happening in my state, is a rush to production of fossil fuels. Fast, cheap, and shortsighted production.

I must say I admire your certainty about this, but what makes no sense to me is why you are wasting your anger and energy ranting about it rather than trying to do something about it. Bush hasn't even taken office yet. Rather than lashing out about "what is going to happen," and allocating blame for it, begin organizing now. Make certain that the opinions and needs of your state's citizens are made completely clear and persuasive to its lawmakers at all levels.

As for Nader, I also voted for him and have no regrets. The final insult, in my opinion, was the cowardly banning of Nader and Buchanan from the debates. Instead, we got to hear regurgitated platitudes and stump-speech soundbites. Our basis for choosing a president turned on such earthshaking problems as Gore's sighing. Because Nader was so roundly shut out of the debate (in the more general sense), I felt it was my duty to try to help the Green Party receive the necessary 5% that would ascertain its participation in future debate.

Having made it through 8 years of Reagan and 4 of Daddy Bush, I don't expect the world to end with Dubbya holding the reins. What I dearly hope will come of his 4 years in office is a revivification of interest and a reawakened interest on the part of citizens that leads to letting D.C. andits corporate handlers know that their smarmy manipulation can no longer be "business as usual."

As for hearing the death knell of SRI, doesn't TMF philosophy hinge on investing for the long term? I am far from well-informed about government support for SR businesses, but doubt they had much help during the Clinton administration. Those making a go of it do so thanks to the usual ingredients of effective management, worthy and workable products, and effective marketing. How will a shift toward the right change that? It does suggest, however, that it will be more important—and possibly more profitable—than ever to continue the vigilance and support alternative energy and other SRI approaches over the next four years.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement