Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: aliceand Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 768  
Subject: What's going on? Date: 1/19/2001 4:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a novice investor, but it seems to be with such
good earnings reported yesterday, the stock shouldn't be taking such a major dive! What am I missing? Is it just sinking with the entire biotech sector or what?

Do I dump it now and buy later? I bought at 77 and am hating life!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: timccim Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 343 of 768
Subject: Re: What's going on? Date: 1/19/2001 4:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Relax aliceand:

The drop seems to be tied to the company's forecast for next year (i.e. 72-75 cents/share verse analysts forecasts of 78 cents/share)

The good news is that the reason for the company's reduced forecast is the cost of bringing a new drug to market in summer or fall of this year (subject to FDA approval of course).

By the way, I got most of this information by clinking on the "news" hightlighted next to the company name here at the Fool.

Drug companies spend alot of money developing new drugs and they spend alot more money getting FDA approval for these drugs. Hopefully some of these drugs get to market and are successful. But it all takes time.

If you bought this stock with the long term in mind, relax. Read more about the company and their drug pipeline. If you're not happy with the company or its pipeline, then consider selling. But don't base your decision to sell on today's stock price.

Best regards,

Tim

Author: rmwrip Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 344 of 768
Subject: Re: What's going on? Date: 1/19/2001 9:25 PM
I also think it is partly (or mostly) due to the rotation out of biotech and into tech. All biotechs have been down lately - a trend that will probably change.

Rick

Author: JoBeare Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 345 of 768
Subject: Re: What's going on? Date: 1/20/2001 7:03 AM
I'm new to Genentech. Don't know why this company took such a hit on yesterday, but I was buying with as much cash that I had on hand.

It will by interesting to see if there are any more analysist downgrades next week. I'm new to stock investing, but these analyst are way behind the curve. They downgrade a stock after its already taken a beating and upgrade it when its already had a considerable run up. It makes for some high volitility.

If there are some downgrades next week followed with weaker prices, I'm going to start liquidating my other holdings and buying more Genentech.

JoBeare

Author: Jawson One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 346 of 768
Subject: Re: What's going on? Date: 1/20/2001 5:24 PM
It's good to see some activity on this board.

This is a great company with a great pipeline in a sector that is about to explode. This stock has temporarily gone on sale. Now is the time to buy.

John

Author: jerrtiff Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 347 of 768
Subject: Re: What's going on? Date: 1/20/2001 9:23 PM
Hey, I'm new to this board, hope the posts pick up.

I'm also a new investor and just bought Amgen and Genentech. I knew these were going to be volitile stocks, but whoa!! Bought DNA at 68 and Amgen at 60. DNA has crashed, but Amgen went opposite so it almost evens out. I'm not worried though, in it for the long haul...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement