Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
What's the best way to determine this so I can input accurate info into the software?

You answered your own question right here:

To determine the portion of Box 1a that is foreign dividends, look at the paperwork provided by the dividend payer. It should list a foreign amount or a foreign source percentage you can use to calculate the portion that is from a foreign country.

Check your account statements. Look at each dividend payment. The foreign tax withholding will almost always be stated separately from the dividend, making the job easy.

BTW - don't you know enough about your investments to know which companies are foreign? Or which mutual funds invest in foreign stocks?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.