Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pirategraham Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: What's the worst they can do?? Date: 3/26/2003 1:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mother died last year and I have been handling her final affairs. I have one last thing to go, her taxes. Her estate had no assets so I have tried to avoid probate completely. She was receiving payouts from an IRA which I have inherited. The account is in my name and I have all the statements from my mother's records. The one thing I am missing is the 1099 form from the IRA. I have talked with several people at the company and they totally refuse to send the 1099 to me or to my mother's official address. They say they will only send it to me if I send them a “Letter of Appointment.” They were not very helpful as to how I go about get this letter.

Apparently, I have to go to court to get one. Big problem since I am in California and my mother lived in Michigan. I can try to talk some of my relatives into doing it, but if it involves going to court, they will most assuredly say no. I will probably have to hire a lawyer in any case, either to file papers for me or to name himself executor ($100 per hour plus expenses, plus possibly court costs). So I am looking at at least a few hundred, maybe over $1000. Just so I can get this lousy piece of paper that has numbers on it that I already know.

So I had 2 thoughts…..If you file electronically, you don't have to send in the supporting paperwork. Can you do that for a deceased taxpayer as well or will they want a death certificate or something?

My other thought….She does not owe any taxes and no taxes were withheld, so there is no money involved with her taxes. What happens if I simply don't file? I am not legally the executor so what can they do to me?

Alan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement