Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jimpiccard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 43  
Subject: What's wrong with this company? Date: 4/10/2004 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I just 'discovered' this one earlier today. I had gone to the Domini mutual fund website to contribute to my wife's IRA; decided to check their newsletter for any additions to their portfolio. Though it was many months ago, this company was one of them; and since I had never heard of it before decided to check it out.

I don't agree with all of Amy Domini's selection criteria for stocks....
I don't think defense stocks or nuclear power are 'evil', for example.....but otherwise she's pretty good at going for 'real' companies, not flakes or anything. I definitely have no problems with what the company does; in fact, while I haven't seen the products, I'm going to start looking for them.
What I'm starting to wonder, though, is if there is anything wrong with this company that I'm not noticing. Trading at below book value; price/sales less than one; almost no debt; higher insider ownership than institutional ownership, which I like for the long term. Just experienced a sudden surge the last couple of days; don't know why.So trading closer to its 52 week high now.

Dominee bought in earlier in 2003, possibly right at its all-time low, or close to it, it appears. The one thing that does bother me over the last two quarters: revenues decreasing, yet cost of revenues/SG&A, keep increasing (and have been continously increasing). Now, they have done a very good job about paying down their short and long term debt to almost nothing the past year. But I'm going to go back and listen to the conference call and see if they directly address the decreasing revenues but operating expenses keep going up....
Even if I'm the only one here, I'll report back after I've done that.

jp

Excepting the recent surge...what's 'wrong' with this stock that I'm not seeing?

jp
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement