UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EvilCountessJax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 933  
Subject: What's your experience? Date: 1/1/2011 4:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm wondering what if any experience you have in quitting smoking at the same time as getting clean/sober?

Thank you

Countess
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 902 of 933
Subject: Re: What's your experience? Date: 1/1/2011 8:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
RE: "quitting smoking at the same time as getting clean/sober"

Having been a heavy smoker at one time, (well, one time that lasted about 30 years!), I might opine that this seems like it would be a lot to handle at the same time. Would it be twice the reward, or twice the risk?

There's cold turkey, and then there's freezing cold turkey!

Author: PosFCF Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 903 of 933
Subject: Re: What's your experience? Date: 1/1/2011 6:03 PM
Recommendations: 4
I'm wondering what if any experience you have in quitting smoking at the same time as getting clean/sober?

I was a heavy smoker when I came to the rooms. I wanted to quit early on but it was "suggested" that I get firmly grounded in recovery first.

3 years into recovery I was smoking 3.5 packs per day. I would wake up in the middle of the night just to have a cigarette and then go back to sleep.

I was coughing quite a lot and finally, one day my wife and I decided to try to quit together. I used everything I learned in to rooms: Ask my Higher Power for help on a daily basis; don't romanticize the smoke; think through the downsides of smoking; stay in the moment; remember it is only for today, not for a lifetime; have hard candies available to help offset the urge; stay away from smoking environments while I still have a rpoblem staying stopped; etc.

The effort was successful for both of us. We quit in 1990 and haven't (so far) seen the need to start again.

Poz

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 904 of 933
Subject: Re: What's your experience? Date: 1/2/2011 7:27 AM
I don't want to get too far off-topic, but nicotene is a (strong) physical addiction, and we have discussed it here before:

http://boards.fool.com/the-quit-smoking-story-which-ive-rela...

SB (going on 14 non-smoking years now!)

Author: EvilCountessJax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 905 of 933
Subject: Re: What's your experience? Date: 1/7/2011 5:54 PM
Yeah, I've said it before to some family members who have asked why I haven't quit yet.

I'm not totally ready. I've done some cutting back but I'm just not ready to put them down yet.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

Countess

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 906 of 933
Subject: Re: What's your experience? Date: 1/8/2011 9:23 AM
I'm not totally ready. I've done some cutting back but I'm just not ready to put them down yet.

If you've never heard of it, I think this is considered by some to be the bible of quitting smoking:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-smokers/dp/1...

The guy's main point is that you don't actually enjoy smoking, and you never did. It doesn't work for everyone, but it just worked for me, period. I haven't had a smoke, or even an urge, in almost 3 years. I've bought and given this book away at least 5 times, and I always keep a fresh copy on my desk to send to anyone who wants one. Time to order another one, in fact!

Smoking and drinking are two different beasts, IMO. Whether you can or should tackle both at once is probably a personal thing, but I was able to drop smoking cold-turkey while maintaining a ridiculous drinking habit, so the whole "Need a smoke when I drink" thing didn't apply to me. Good luck.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement