UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 665  
Subject: When Credit Scores Make No Sense... Date: 12/30/2007 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So I'm subscribed to a service through USAA which tracks credit score and applications through Experian, primarily to catch potential identity theft and mistakes. Today I decided to see if the needle had moved on my credit score as it reports it.

The particular score I see in this report is called the "PLUS" score, which is similar to FICO but has a 330 to 830 scale (FICO tops out at 850 instead of 830). So for the most part, the PLUS score seems to be roughly the FICO minus 20.

My "PLUS" score is 780. That's fine and good; I'm not obsessed with raising it from this level since that's easily enough to qualify for just about any of the best credit terms out there (to the extent I need any more credit, which is minimal these days). But then for kicks and grins I went to the "Score Illustrator" to see how changes in my current financial situation would affect the score. You can change whether or not you are delinquent on accounts, you can see how a bankruptcy would affect you, you could see how adding credit inquiries would impact the score (approximately).

We own our home free and clear with no mortgage. When I changed the illustrator to indicate we had a mortgage that was current, the needle moved from 780 to 800. Fine, I guess; showing we can pay a mortgage on time regularly means something.

But then I changed it to say I had a mortgage which was delinquent. It moved back to...780. In other words, having no mortgage is as derogatory as having a past due mortgage!

Just thought that was a little interesting. It's not something that really concerns me because I'm still well within the tier of preferred credit, but it seems a bit odd that you are as penalized for having no mortgage as you are for having one but being a deadbeat!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement