UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Re: Professional management Date: 7/8/2011 1:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
When DH and I got our will done, our Lawyer was kind of appalled at the fact that we had a pretty good sized estate but neither financial manager nor CPA (just a tax person).

I tried the CPA. Waste of money. My regular tax person finds more and saves us more, the CPA just charged more but didn't point out any way for us to save on taxes. So I dumped him after a year and went back to my tax person.

After a YEAR I decided to give the financial planner my lawyer recommended a shot. If nothing else maybe they could find something I was missing or had done wrong or rebalance the 401K. I liked her. Her diplomas included an engineering degree and she was more math-geek than pushy salesman. She said we didn't have any "disasters" in our planning but she just tweaked it a little - showed me how to open ROTHs even though we make too much and moved our 529 accounts into one that gives us a state tax break. Balanced my 401K. Talked about how I need to move towards ROTHs rather than taxed from here on out because of forced distributions at 70-ish and the possibility of higher taxes in the future...

Plus one thing that had been holding me back from IRA accounts was having to decide where to invest it. Full time job, two kids, too tired to keep an eye on everything money-wise right now in my life. Maybe in 10 years I'll take it all back over....

So I'll take my new 529 tax break, see how she does with the ROTH investing and if she does well with a little money, maybe she'll get to manage more as time goes on. Start 'em out with a small pile and see what they do with it. Like that bibical parable about the master who gives the servants different amounts of money and comes back to see how they did....
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement