Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6539  
Subject: Re: Revisionist History Date: 9/13/2012 2:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
When DH's mother-in-law started acting irrational we sold her car and used the money to pay off her credit cards. She lives in an apartment for the elderly (NOT assisted living) that has a dining hall and bus service. We didn't want her to cause an accident that would hurt someone and leave her liable.
My dad has Parkinsons and luckily he knows he can't drive anymore - he made that decision, we didn't have to.

If we had that option, that's the way we'd go, except at this point her driving is fine and aside from wanting to remember everything in the past with rose-colored glasses, she seems to be on top of things.

One thing I do want to mention is that putting her in any sort of assisted living/senior facilty is not in the cards. A few years ago she took out a reverse mortgage on her house. If she moves out, she has to sell it and give the proceeds to the company she did the mortgage with. The house is not in an area that will allow her to sell it as a residence. The best she can hope for is to sell it as commercial property, but even then, she won't get as much out of it as she owes against it.

So if anything happens to her, I will have to move her in with us. If I move her in with us, given that we have no place to put her, my husband will move out. I am not willing to give up my husband and kick one of my kids out of the house to move my mother in with me. If that makes me an awful daughter, well, then I'm an awful daughter.

I've watched my mother spend money like there was no tomorrow while she was married to my dad, and my stepdad. She blew through her inheritence like it was water, now at 83, the proverbial chickens are coming home to roost, but unless I suddenly win the lottery (and I don't even play), there is no way we can afford to put her into any sort of senior facility and no way she can move in with us.

LWW
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement