Triplet #2 has 103.6. I just gave her some Motrin and dw is giving her a bath.I was able to get her a doctor appt in about an hour, but if I hadn't, is this something that would require an ER visit?(Not really relevant to my question, but other symptoms are sore throat, listlessness and lack of appetite.)
Triplet #2 has 103.6. I just gave her some Motrin and dw is giving her a bath.I was able to get her a doctor appt in about an hour, but if I hadn't, is this something that would require an ER visit?(Not really relevant to my question, but other symptoms are sore throat, listlessness and lack of appetite.) The ER depends on if the fever goes down in response to the the motrin. Wafflegirl has had some high fevers (104 - 105 readings on the ear thermometer) Her fever did go down with medicine. We had to alternate tylenol/motrin but it helped. (If the motrin is every 4 - 6 hours - you can give Tylenol halfway between the next dose of motrin then give the next dose of motrin at the regular time) But you know your DD better than I do - wafflegirl seems to get fevers when she's sick more than her sister. If there was no dr appt and the fever didn't respond at all to the motrin in about an hour to hour and a half I'd think about the ER. If it went down to 102 with the motrin I'd give tylenol two hours after the dose of motrin and keep anxiously checking for that to kick in.
other symptoms are sore throat, listlessness and lack of appetiteWith the usual not-a-doctor disclaimers: The guidelines i see say the behavior of the child is often more telling than the number on the thermometer (except for tiny infants). Her symptoms, in conjunction with the fever, would have me calling the doctor, too.Hope it's not a big deal and that she feels better soon.
Okay, back from the doctor.Her fever did respond to the meds & bath, and was down to 97 point-something at the doctor's office (where they used one of those ear thermometers).Strep test negative. Influenza B positive.The doctor prescribed Tamiflu as treatment for her (2x daily for 5 days) and also prescribed it prophylactically for her 3 siblings (1x daily for 10 days).The doctor warned us about side effects, and left the decision to treat or not up to us. She said it would likely shorten the course of the illness by 1-2 days.I gave doses to everybody, and every kid said it was the most disgusting thing they ever tasted. They all tolerated it well except the one who is actually sick (natch). She threw up the first dose, and ½ hour later when I tried again, she spit out the 2nd dose. I offered her a grape juice chaser, and she reluctantly swallowed a 3rd dose and a half cup of grape juice.And then, perhaps 2 minutes later, she threw up the Tamiflu and grape juice.So we've decided to discontinue the Tamiflu for her, and just let things run their course. We still plan to give the daily doses to the other kids.
I'm a little late for this discussion, but thought I'd add that, a friend of mine took her baby in to the ER with a fever of 105. They sent her home and told her just to watch it.
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |