UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4360  
Subject: when executor drops out Date: 1/19/2014 1:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is so screwy I'm not sure I'll be phrasing this right, but here goes:

Dear Step-son died in 2009. His widow was very young, they'd been married about a year, she was incredibly stressed. Her father offered to file as executor as there was no will. The widow (we thought) gave her father all the paperwork on accounts, etc.

It was easier for the FIL to get to the right courthouse, etc. and he had done all this before, for relatives.

Nobody picked up on his Wal-Mart stock holdings until months later. I don't know why. The statements came to our house as DH had held POA for DS-S for several years.

Our former DIL has cut all communication with us and her family will say, when we call, that yes, we need to get together and finalize everything but nothing ever happens. My impression is that they very much want to pretend that all this never happened.

My inclination is to send a letter outlining what needs to be addressed, offer a few dates when we/DH could come to town, and offer that if there's another way they'd like this handled, we're open to hear it.

I hate to push DH on this--it's pretty painful that basically, we're trying to get our former daughter-in-law several thousand dollars in stock and the response is if it means thinking about their brief marriage, they'd rather do without the money.

Meanwhile, tax forms come in, statements come in, and it all gets thrown into a pile. I'm not even sure who the legal owner is, since the owner's deceased and I don't know if an estate was ever set up.

I'd welcome any insight. I'm dreading trying to open this in court or whatever and getting all the questions of "why did everyone wait so long to do anything?" All I've got is "everybody involved went into a total state of denial."

cm
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement