No. of Recommendations: 0
When funds from a simple IRA are withdrawn and immediately rolled into a Roth how are taxes determined with respect to the basis of the original IRA, given that some of the contributions to the IRA were taxable and some were not?

I'll expand a little on Pixy's response. When you take distributions from a traditional IRA, including converting some of that IRA to Roth, and there have been nondeductible contributions to the traditional IRA, you calculate the taxable portion of the distribution in Part I of Form 8606. That is the taxable amount from the conversion.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.