UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 861  
Subject: When & how renewal review? Date: 11/28/2011 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was awarded disability in early 2010 (lump sum payment retroactive to beginning 2009) for psychiatric disability and have been on SSDI since. My issue is mood disorders related (I believe it is based on bipolar disorder, or some variation on depression as I am not exactly sure what the consensus is with my doctors of the last two years).

Is there some way to find out when I would get the SSDI "renewal" review? A main reason for wondering is that I am trying to find a new doctor and general treatment. I have a general understanding that SSA would require history of treatments and visits, but beyond that, I don't know much about the process. Though I probably have at least a year or so to go, I want to have some awareness of the process.

Thus far I have not been able to find much information online, but am excerpting this little bit of information that I found at the link.

http://www.cms.gov/apps/firststep/content/ssdi-enroll.html#r...

• If medical improvement is "expected," the case will be reviewed within six to 18 months.
• If medical improvement is "possible," the case will be reviewed in three years.
• If medical improvement is "not expected," the case will be reviewed in seven years.

I assume that I would be in the category of "possible" (according to the above, then I would be up for review in three years) or "not expected" One specific question is I wonder if the time starts from 2010 (when I started to receive my SSDI), or retroactive to 2009 (when I received payments beginning), or even older (SSA letter of approval had indicated that they concluded my disability started even earlier).

Thanks.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 854 of 861
Subject: Re: When & how renewal review? Date: 11/28/2011 10:06 AM
Also for anyone who has been through the renewal review process, I would like to hear how it works. I also don't know how exactly I would be notified of a review, if it is done in person, how complicated or whatever is the review process (my own doctors, their doctors, etc.).

Thank you.

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 861 of 861
Subject: Re: When & how renewal review? Date: 7/3/2012 11:43 AM
A main reason for wondering is that I am trying to find a new doctor and general treatment. I have a general understanding that SSA would require history of treatments and visits, but beyond that, I don't know much about the process.

It shouldn't matter how many MDs you've seen as long as you keep track of who and when so you can produce documentation should they request a review of your case.

• If medical improvement is "not expected," the case will be reviewed in seven years.

I think I fall into this category, but it's been 10 or 11 years now since I quailified for SSDI and I haven't heard anything from them about a review, yet.

Bill

e-mailed and posted

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement