Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
When I buy stocks in the IRA, I am of course charged a trading fee. Am I able to write that off at the end of the year on my schedule A?

Also, if I sell a stock for a gain within the IRA, do I pay Cap Gains on that or report it on a schedule D?

No to both. If you pay any kind of maintenance fees on the IRA from non-IRA funds (this doesn't count against your contribution limit) you can deduct those as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.