Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CycleGirl One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/12/2008 1:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When I look at my own monthly budget, gas for the car peaked at about 3% of our monthly income. That doesn't count CycleSpouse's truck fuel, however, because that's a business expense.

Getting the scooter out in rainy May-June will probably bring that 3% down to a lower number. Who knows, maybe 2% or so. However, it's not like it makes a meaningful difference in our financial well-being, I'm just a saver. I mean, I use a coupon when we get take and bake pizza, too....

Anyway, before oil prices went crazy, CycleSpouse and I talked about several road trips this summer. Mount Saint Helens, the Sea Lion Caves, the Impressionist Exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum, some of the area waterfalls... The price of fuel will definitely not stop us from going on any of those trips.

We're in the process of buying a new (used) car. We think that the Acura will get around 30+ mpg on the freeway. So, a 466 mile RT to Seattle will use 15.5 gallons of gas at $4.20 = $65. Other travel expenses: hotel, a nice dinner, a lunch or two, tickets to the museum... will add up to a lot more than the gas bill. I guess I'm echoing what telegraph said here.

I guess the bottom line is that we feel that road trips around the PNW are still a bargain compared to traditional fly-to-a-destination vacations.

Umm.... trying to find my way back to the original subject. I guess that for myself, I'm trying to save gas on mundane trips but when it comes to special trips, we're not sacrificing any of them. We can afford it.

CG
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement