UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (174) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60069  
Subject: Re: Is Early Retirement Environmentally Correct? Date: 2/6/2007 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When I put my garbage out once a week, I only have a couple of small garbage bags compared to 6-12 of most of my neighbors. I have an organic garden that produces food year around. So eating out of it produces no waste for the garbage man as it goes back into my compost pile. Because we buy no packaged processed foods, that also helps with waste prevention.

We are very similar. We are a family of 7 people and we put out a single partially full trash can (the small kind, I think 32 gallon) for each collection. In fact, we only own 2 trash cans for the collection after a Monday holiday when there is no collection (so we have twice as much trash waiting) and even then we don't always need two trash cans. We also have 2 recycling bins that are collected, one for paper and the other for glass/plastic, and bundles of cardboard boxes (very rare, because I save cardboard boxes in my garage and try to give them away to people who are moving or otherwise require them). And this is including 2 kids still in diapers! Meanwhile most of our neighbors put out 2, sometimes 3, very large (the 45 gallon kind on wheels) trash cans. We have one neighbor that often seems to have 2 trash cans, 3 recycling bins (1 paper and 2 plastic/glass ones) piled high, AND a bag or two and/or a small pile of other refuse (small furniture pieces, lamps, and other stuff that doesn't fit into a trash can easily) next to the trash cans - amazing! I have to wonder where all that stuff comes from???
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (174) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement