No. of Recommendations: 0
When I rollover from the IRA to the ROTH will I have to pay taxes on the current value of the stock or on the amount that I originaly contributed.

As Crosenfield said, you pay on the value on the date the rollover is done. I'd like to add that when I rolled over my IRA to a Roth my mutual fund gave me a statement that said what the value was. This is the value that they will report to the IRS and that I will use next year on my Form 8606 that reports the rollover. Also since I made a few nondeductible contributions, I'll get to deduct those first and pay taxes on the remainder.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.