No. of Recommendations: 0
When I said "reduce my expenses" I was thinking "mutual fund expenses".
I guess I am still confused about exactly what you are asking. Vanguard is known for its no-load low expense funds although Fido has some funds which are competitive with them.
If you have a Vanguard mutual fund account you can buy Vanguard funds without a transaction fee. If you have a Vanguard brokerage account you can buy Vanguard ETFs without a commission.
I am not too familiar with Fido's policies but I suspect that they have similar procedures for their funds although I'm not sure they have their own ETFs.
Whenever you buy someone's funds from someone other than the sponsor of the fund you will almost always incur a transaction fee. If the transaction fee is waived it is likely that there will be a load on the purchase. Vanguard's general policy is that they will not pay any fees to other organizations who sell their funds. This is the reason that they will typically have a transaction fee when bought through someone else.
ETFs must be purchased through a brokerage account which normally has a commission associated unless it falls within an exception such as mentioned about Vanguard above.
Now what was your question again?
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.