Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
When I start taking IRA distributions after age 59 1/2 are those distributions taxed simply as income, or do I have to
pay short term capital gains for all the
short term gains taken over the life of the IRA? How does that work? Please excuse my ignorance on this!!

You may e-mail me directly if you wish at

The distributions are taxed the same way wages are on your tax return. No long or short term gains. Just 100% of distributions tax at regular income tax rates.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.