Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When I was offered my job I was offered reimbursement for my moving expenses, or a lump sum payment.

It is income. You report it as income on your tax form.

Then, collect your receipts for moving expenses (truck rental and such).
Sum them up, and fill the amount in the 'moving expenses' line on your tax form. This amount will be deducted from your income.

You may break even. If you don't break even, and have some monies left over...well, you managed to make some money on your moving. If you did not keep the receipts, try to recover copies from truck rental place and such.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.