No. of Recommendations: 1
When the whole period is considered, Jun ’90 to Sep ’12, then the following numbers emerge.

On average, over the whole period, stocks offered 1.6x the absolute returns that bonds did, but at a cost of 13.9x the volatility and 0.1 the ‘risk-efficiency’.

In other words, stocks can offer bigger money than bonds, but it isn’t worry-free money, nor is it efficiently obtained. But if that's the game that interests you, then that's the game that interests you, and TMF home page, with its endless urging to "buy this perfect stock", "buy that perfect stock", is exactly where you should begin your investing day. Me? I'll read such articles for their entertainment value, but where I spend more of my time is scanning the offering-lists to find my own actionable ideas. But like I also said, investing can be as done as a hobby, and there's no need to turn a profit on something that's being done mostly for fun. So the "advice" offered in their columns is harmless, because anyone who is serious about investing certainly isn't following much of it.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement