Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello everyone,

My husband and I live and work overseas, and are exempt from federal taxes. We both have roll-over IRA's and a third account all invested in mutual funds. These funds were purchased before I found TMF, and on the recommendation of a Schwab representation.

Each of these accounts started out with around $10,000 each. Today, they are down by 19%-39%. I am learning that index funds are the way to go. I would like to transefer all of these funds (especially the roll-over IRA's) over to an index fund.

If I were to sell today, we would have a loss. However, since we will be exempt from taxes for the year 2001, should we sell in 2002 (we move back to the states and will have to pay income taxes) I am assuming that I won't recoup my losses in one year.

Please use small words since I am a brand new FOOL.

Thank you for any help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.