UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 737054  
Subject: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/28/2012 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 34
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-27/when-work-punished-...

Exactly two years ago, some of the more politically biased
progressive media outlets (who are quite adept at creating and taking down their own strawmen arguments, if not quite as adept at using an abacus, let alone a calculator) took offense at our article "In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year." In it we merely explained what has become the painful reality in America: for increasingly more it is now more lucrative - in the form of actual disposable income - to sit, do nothing, and collect various welfare entitlements, than to work. This is graphically, and very painfully confirmed, in the below chart from Gary Alexander, Secretary of Public Welfare, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (a state best known for its broke capital Harrisburg). As quantitied, and explained by Alexander, "the single mom is better off earnings gross income of $29,000 with $57,327 in net income & benefits than to earn gross income of $69,000 with net income and benefits of $57,045."
u
n
s
u
s
t
a
i
n
a
b
l
e
t
h
a
t
'
s
w
h
a
t
y
o
u
a
r
e
But perhaps the scariest chart in the entire presentation is the following summarizing the unsustainable welfare burden on current taxpayers:

•For every 1.65 employed persons in the private sector, 1 person receives welfare assistance
•For every 1.25 employed persons in the private sector, 1 person receives welfare assistance or works for the government.

The punchline: 110 million privately employed workers; 88 million welfare recipients and government workers and rising rapidly.
----------------------------------------------------------
The thing about unsustainability is it's not sustainable.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657249 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/28/2012 4:42 PM
Recommendations: 13

Krugman would argue that it would be sustainable if we would just spend more money.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657250 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/28/2012 4:51 PM
Recommendations: 3

Krugman would argue that it would be sustainable if we would just spend more money.
----------------------------------------------------
Oh, you mean Paul Krugman Nobel Prize Winner©, i would laugh but he's actually backed up by another great economic thinker:

Now, people when I say that look at me and say, 'What are you talking about, Joe? You're telling me we have to go spend money to keep from going bankrupt?'. The answer is yes, that's what I'm telling you.
Joe Biden

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657254 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/28/2012 4:59 PM
Recommendations: 4
Quoted: Exactly two years ago, some of the more politically biased
progressive media outlets ...

Stop calling them "progressives." They're making no progress. They're devolving our country, so they should be called "regressives."

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657270 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/28/2012 6:29 PM
Wat you be talkin' bout? Jes gimme my free stuff. Pays fo my food stamps, my crib, my five keeds, and da odder won on da way, my welfare checks. Who cares about sista-inability?

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657273 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/28/2012 6:44 PM
Recommendations: 4
For every 1.65 employed persons in the private sector, 1 person receives welfare assistance
•For every 1.25 employed persons in the private sector, 1 person receives welfare assistance or works for the government.

The punchline: 110 million privately employed workers; 88 million welfare recipients and government workers and rising rapidly.
----------------------------------------------------------

Wait a second.

It's entirely sustainable, so long as there is a Federal Reserve capable of using the CTR+P command and the Federal Reserve balance sheet/spreadsheet has inifinte numbers of cells and electronic digits.

What else is a "lender of last resort" for?

No worries, my friend.

;-)

Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657316 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 9:12 AM
Recommendations: 2

In the medical profession, they refer to this phenomenon as "all bleeding eventually stops."

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657320 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 9:49 AM

If that were true, why did the stimulus fail to generate economic growth? If these Keynesians were right and, as they claim: for every dollar of government spending there will be more than a dollar returned in the form of economic growth, the government should be spending at least $100 trillion per hour. Let's just tax everyone at 100% and unleash that government beast. Everyone will have a job and economic growth will flourish like never before.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657345 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
...for increasingly more it is now more lucrative - in the form of actual disposable income - to sit, do nothing, and collect various welfare entitlements, than to work.

I'm not sure which is more troubling, that you're better off on welfare than working a minimum wage job, or that working a minimum wage job pays so poorly that you're better off on welfare.

One thing the Zero Hedge analysis misses in its comparison of welfare versus work is that while a min wage job may produce less immediate disposable income than welfare, it creates a potential for more income in the future. (Ask any college intern who works for free how this works.) Sadly, this point is also lost on a lot of people in our instant gratification society.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657346 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 1:06 PM
xLife wrote: Sadly, this point is also lost on a lot of people in our instant gratification society.

Yeah, this welfare queenie isn't thinking about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufk7IXdxc-c

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657348 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 1:15 PM

----------------------------------------
Dear God. What happens when the money actually runs out and it's not a "glitch"? I guess i should just watch Greece footage. What annoys me is how entitled and in-your-face they are about it, like there's a fairy making EBT cards and no one is actually paying for it.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657352 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 1:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
Dear God. What happens when the money actually runs out and it's not a "glitch"? I guess i should just watch Greece footage. What annoys me is how entitled and in-your-face they are about it, like there's a fairy making EBT cards and no one is actually paying for it.

That's CC's favorite Youtube video. I'm partial to the Ohio Obamaphone woman video myself. <g>

To answer your question, the mobs will spread out into the middle class enclaves and loot there when their EBT cards no longer work.

Mike

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657354 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 1:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
Poor Angel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUW2vCPX7w

My Neighbor's Food Stamp Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYeRJyiPAgk

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657357 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 1:53 PM
Recommendations: 5

OMG! How pathetic. It never fails to surprise me when I see these losers in action.

One lady complained about not eating that day. Sister. I've gone 5 days without eating anything except water before. From the looks of things, you could do good by a fast.

And for the loud mouth entitlement fools....the US we be better without you. GO away.

Oh....I guess they could all be Obama's daughters so I best shut up before the secret service shows up on my front door.

decath

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657358 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/29/2012 1:54 PM
To answer your question, the mobs will spread out into the middle class enclaves and loot there when their EBT cards no longer work.

Mike

And be met with resistance until I run out of ammo.

decath

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657454 of 737054
Subject: Re: When Work Is Punished Date: 11/30/2012 9:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
What happens when the money actually runs out and it's not a "glitch"?

Guns and ammo and who is better at hitting center mass.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement