Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you are retired and you decide to move to another state, are any of the expenses deductible? What if the move was due to one of the individuals becomes disabled due to a terminal illness and they move to be closer to relatives?

Sorry!=(: Moving expense must be job related in order to qualify for that type of deduction. If you own your home, there are certain benefits that would allow your relief from having to pay gains on the sale of the residence. If you lived in it for two out of the last five years, $250,000 in gains is excludable from your income ($500,000 if married filing jointly). There are exceptions that might allow for a pro-rated exclusion, if your move was mandated by job or health related issues and you do not meet the two year requirement.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.