No. of Recommendations: 4
When you express concerns about buying into bond funds at this time, due to high prices, you imply that you expect interest rates to rise--soon.

I don't know about "soon" but I do expect the next major move in interest rates to be up not down. From what I read, I'm not supposed to worry about that, I'm just supposed to plop the money in.

Of course, now you are into market timing and Fools know its difficult to do that right.

I agree to a point. I come to the bond board as naked baby. But I have been in stocks for about 35 yrs and did a fair job of "timing" for maybe 20 of those. When most people talk about timing, they mean trying to pick the top or the bottom. I don't do that and I don't think anybody can do that consistently. I go with the trend and try to carve out the middle 70% or so, leaving the bottom 15% and the top 15% to the "experts." And I've been 100% MMF for most of the last 2 yrs. I missed bonds completely, not even on my radar scope because I never invested in bonds (except that once) and know only two things about them, as I said.

-Bob

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement