Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pbpapa One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121327  
Subject: Re: sale of rental property Date: 3/15/2001 10:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When you sell you file a form called 4797. On that form you enter the original cost, the cost of improvements (and maybe some other stuff). You also enter the depreciation "allowed or allowable" and selling expenses. From which a gain or loss is determined. If you failed to take depreciation you were entitled to take, you can take it now in one (or both) of two ways. for the 3 prior years (before 2000) you can file amended returns and take the depreciation that way (and get a refund on those prior year returns). If you failed to take depreciation more than 3 years ago, you can file form 3115 and take ALL the depreciation on the current year return.

But, alas, I am ahead of myself. You asked for advice.
The advice here is, of course, free, and sometimes is worth all of that. This advice is priceless. Go hire some help. There is clearly a lot that you do not know about "schedule E". And what you don't know has already cost you a bunch (much of which you may still be able to recover). Don't let your ego put you in the poor house.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.