Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you take money out of your IRA at retirement time, if it is a Roth it won't be taxed, if traditional will be taxed as ordinary income no matter what was the source of the money.
Assuming you own some combination of stocks that pay dividends and bonds that pay interest, dividends are taxed at a favorable rate. Therefore, it is well to fill your IRA with items that pay interest or otherwise lots of income that would otherwise be taxable, and have your dividends that are taxed at a lower rate in taxable accounts. You also may have more tendency to buy and sell stocks, and the capital gains are taxed at a favorable rate if in taxable accounts.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.