Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 36
I am brought to my knees by reading an article like this.

There's a young woman in North Carolina. At some point during today she walked across a stage and was handed her high school diploma. It's a small town, and people will cheer her, but her parents won't be there. They moved away last summer, abandoning her.

She grew up in the worst kind of poverty. No electricity, no water (she and her brother used to walk to the public park to get a bucket of water), only one dress to wear, and parents who were drug addicts.

When she was left alone people at the school rallied around. They found someone with an extra bedroom who would let her stay with them. They gave her a job as janitor in the school. Some people gave her donations.

In the fall she'll go to college. She applied to four colleges in North Carolina, plus one from out of state. She was accepted at all of them. She'll be attending the one from out of state.

Harvard.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/from-janitor-to-harvard/ind...

Nancy
my eyes are watering. Must be an allergy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement