UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42361  
Subject: Re: suggestions on school troubles? Date: 9/12/2012 12:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
When's the last time you had her eyes checked? Not just for 20/20 vision, but depth perception type stuff? I ask because Her Bootiness also had that same type of trouble when her vision was suffering - her prescription hadn't changed, but they had to adjust {something I can't even describe beyond what position the eyes were looking through her glasses}, and Viola!

That was the root cause - it was displaying the symptom of a low-grade headache. By the time she got to lunch, she'd have this annoying headache....and anything from that point forward was touch-and-go.

Something I am struggling with: Q is a fantastic student. immediately understands stuff, finishes homework in mere minutes, reads so much I have to tell him to put books down....

....Her Bootiness "struggles" with school. And I say that in quotes because she's not actually struggling - she's at grade level - any longer, but *compared to Q* and frankly, myself as a child - it's night and day.

I have to really, really, for realz make sure that I'm thinking of her level/abilities/struggles as they relate to her only, not "compared to". And sometimes, I realize I need to back off whatever I've pushing at that moment, because she's at the level appropriate for her grade and *for her*, not where Q or I would have been at that age.

That said, I know our 3rd grade teachers made it very clear at the beginning of the year last year that it's a "transition" year. It's a pretty rough go, and a lot of issues that were minor (like, say, not knowing some "sight" words) because very evident, due to the faster pace of instructions, extra organizational demands, etc. It could be that she's just adjusting differently than her sister.

Long post short - make sure and check on the vision thing, or at least ask about headaches. Even a low-grade headache can really jack up a day. Perhaps a full physical, just in case.

impolite
long-winded apparently
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement