Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Re: Cain 9-9-9 Date: 10/16/2011 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Where are you getting the numbers for the current tax? What deductions does that couple making $50,000 have currently?

I ran a married couple making $50,000 through turbotax tax estimator. No children, standard deduction.

Where are you getting the 999 tax amount? You really think a couple making $50,000 pays 44,500 on stuff subject to sales tax?

There has been no discussion of any exemptions from the 9% sales tax under Cain's plan. While I would expect any national sales tax to have SOME exemptions, given the lack of details, I assumed none. However, loan repayments would not have sales tax (although the original purchase would have; thus, the 9% would be on a number less than $44,500 for a family with loan repayments.

Of course with the elimination of Payroll tax (Social Security and Medicare) those programs would no longer exist.

What, if anything, does he plan to have replace SS & Medicare?

What do you plan to do to replace SS and Medicare?

What are we as a society going to do with those folks that don't/can't plan for the future?

I have not seen anything from Cain where he wants to abolish those programs. Google searches find plenty of people indicating that his plan does, but I can't find anything that Cain has said about it. Why do those programs no longer exist without a payroll tax? There is not "national defense tax", yet the army still gets money. They will be funded through the federal budget, which is how they are going to be funded in the future if nothing changes, since they are paying out more than they take in.

If I make my living buying and selling stock. With Cain's plan I would have to pay ZERO income tax.

You would pay 9% on your investment gains, unless you only lose money. The 9% is on gross income, less charitable deductions.

wrj
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement