Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Tracy5375 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2385  
Subject: Where are you guys? Date: 7/20/2002 8:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I don't have anything to add but I miss living vicariously through YOUR RV trips, etc. Please share!

Tracy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 925 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/21/2002 3:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't have anything to add but I miss living vicariously through YOUR RV trips, etc. Please share!

I know I should type up my trip report but there is so much to tell about 5 weeks, I didn't want anyone to fall asleep at their monitor...LOL

Right now I'm planning our October trip. <don't tell anyone, but this won't be in our RV> DH has a conference in Lake Tahoe on Wed, Thur & ends Friday. THEN, as luck would have it my in-laws time share at Lake Tahoe starts on that same Friday so we will scoot over there. Our Anniversary is Tuesday and if all goes well we will come home on Wednesday.

Utahtea

Author: Tracy5375 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 926 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/21/2002 7:57 AM
Sounds lilke a fun trip. We used to live at Lake Tahoe. October is such a great time to be there. Not too busy and very beautiful. Where at Tahoe is your time-share? We used to live near King's Beach and work near Tahoe City.

The first six months we were married, we lived in a tent (in an ownership campground - we were part of the staff) in Hobart Mills, just outside of Truckee. Those are some wonderful memories! It was because of that experience that we are determined to have an RV and live the lifestyle somewhere down the road (so to speak).

Tracy
itching to get on the road again

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 927 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/21/2002 3:28 PM
Recommendations: 4

OK, you'd like to hear about our trip. Just a few days, returned a few hours ago. Went to Gatlinburg, TN for an "artists and crafts" fair that had been touted by some people we know. We've been to Gatlinburg before, and while the town itself is "tourist heaven" - full of ice cream shops, Ripley's Museums, T-shirt shops, etc -, there is a nice little run of artists shops, jewelry makers, potters, etc. along an 8-mile run outside of town with some pretty nice stuff.

So we were all excited about the "artists' show." It turned out not to be, it was mostly crafts, most of which was "country crafts." Now that's OK, and in fact it was pretty nice stuff, but it wasn't what we were expecting, so we were disappointed.

(This was Mrs. Goofy's & my 17th wedding anniversary weekend, for which we always do something special. At least the Aquarium (Ripley's!) was good, if pricey. $16 per person. Whew!)

Anyway, the rest of the story is directed at just one person, or one family, rather. My chances that they will read this are pretty small, I realize, but I thought I would just jot down the note anyway.

I understood when you pulled into the campsite next to us at 3:30 in the morning; perhaps you'd been traveling for hours and hours, or maybe you had a breakdown and just got waylaid. I felt so sorry for you.

I wasn't surprised that you need to plug in, even though it was 70 degrees in the mountains, making air conditioning unnecessary for several hours, so I let it pass. I did wonder if it was necessary for you to fill up your water tank at that hour, and particularly to keep hollering to your co-pilot inside "Is it full yet?"

I even wondered if you really needed to set up your satellite dish at that hour, but maybe you like to sleep to the TV, or perhaps there was some giant news story you were following, although the next morning I didn't really find one.

I do have to question whether it was necessary to bring down your awning, and to pound tent pegs into the ground to secure it, and I was even more amazed that you found it a convenient time to drag the picnic table clear across your campsite, across the asphalt on your pull-thru, and over onto the side of my site, screeching and shuddering as you moved it in the middle of the night.

Well, anyway, I just thought I'd mention how sorry I am that I was banging pie plates together under your bedroom window at 7:00AM the next morning. I know some people might have thought that inconsiderate, but "it's just what I do", so I hope it didn't bother you too much.

I also enjoyed emptying my sewage right next to your picnic table while you were eating breakfast a couple of mornings later. Perhaps if you moved your picnic tables when there was light you would notice where the sewer connections are and not put your picnic table right next to them.

Hey, I'm only kidding about the pie plates and dumping while you were eating, but believe me, I thought about it. And just a bit of fair warning. I can be as nice as the next guy, but if you are my "neighbor" again, and if you do it again, I will not be nearly so nice the next time.

And that's the story of my trip. Hope you enjoyed it!

Author: Tracy5375 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 928 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/21/2002 9:56 PM
Got a chuckle out of the "pie plate" thing....there are times I have considered something similar but manners prevent me...

Sounds like a fun trip. We love looking for good crafts fairs...especially when it isn't all "country" stuff...although I like some of that stuff too. Guess I don't know what I really like. Depends on the day.

Tracy

Author: broadinthemarket Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 929 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/22/2002 12:20 AM
Recommendations: 8
Just a bit of fair warning. I can be as nice as the next guy, but if you are my "neighbor" again, and if you do it again....

Goofy,

As a campground owner, may I reply?

You are a nice guy AND you need to complain to the campground host or owner!

Basicly, what you are buying is a safe place to sleep and clean restrooms. That's why you pay me, the campground owner. That's why you stay in my park and that's what I want/need you to have.

I go to great lengths to provide service for you so I am in charge of drunks, noisy people, barking dogs, generators, loud music, foul mouthed kids, etc.

And guess what? Those offenders don't stay here if you (and others) would be so kind to complain to me. I need to know and want to know, at the time, before you get seriously pissed. You don't have to deal with weirdos. I will do it, if you alert me. I am happy to get up at any time to do my job so you will have a pleasant stay. (And come back again and again and again.)

You are in the right here. You are the valuable customer here - not someone who is so stupid as to disturb others at 3 am. You are the customer I want to keep.

Quit being such a nice guy and help me out here so you have great memories instead of "remember our 17th anniversary when that @sshole next to us....". I'll take care of it. It's my job.

broadinthemarket

Author: payitoff Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 931 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/22/2002 11:57 AM
Recommendations: 2
Howdy! We're the family that didn't know what rv to buy and bought a used pop up camper. We've been camping a lot this summer and have been having an awesome time. We went to Steamboat Lake State Park in June for a week for our maiden voyage. Ahhhh....the memories. The pictures turned out great and everyone ooohs and ahhhs when they see the photos. :-) We are fortunate to have good friends that lease some land near a reservoir and asked us to bring our popup and camp along with them. (Dry camping :-) ). It's 45 minutes from our home. They have a boat and took our kids tubing. Great friends, great memories. (Unfortunately the drought in Colorado has caused the reservoir to be drained, so those trips are done for the season.) The pop up is usually popped up and our oldest son sleeps in it most of the time. He claims that his room is too hot, even though his bedroom is in the basement.
We leave for our Yellowstone/Jackson trip Friday. We are walking around with silly grins this week...

Payitoff
....our family is now considering purchasing a truck and fifth wheel in the next two or three years......

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 932 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/27/2002 9:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
Goofy,
As a campground owner, may I reply?
You are a nice guy AND you need to complain to the campground host or owner!

I would have if it continued. As it turns out, they were loud, their kids were louder - but then kids are. The next night the kids were in bed by 9, the adults sat out on the picnic table til about 11, and then peace reigned, ah, blessed peace. They set up a badminton game on their side, and the birdie bonked our bus a couple of times, but heck, I remember being 13 and not exactly in control of the racket myself.

I appreciate the nonsense that campground owners must go through; I can't tell you how many times I've come into a site and found a load of garbage in a fire ring - and know that you can't inspect every fire ring 10 minutes after somebody leaves - or, well, you know the litany of abuses far better than I.

So we just try to get along, and hope that when I start my generator at 3:30AM or drive off with one of your picnic tables you don't get too cranky <grin>

Goofy
who saw a campground in Gatlinburg rated 10-10-10 that he wouldn't have given a "7" to.

Author: broadinthemarket Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 933 of 2385
Subject: Re: Where are you guys? Date: 7/28/2002 3:22 PM
They set up a badminton game on their side, and the birdie bonked our bus a couple of times, but heck, I remember being 13 and not exactly in control of the racket myself. Goofy

We have mostly retirees because we are in southern AZ and the "season" is winter with the snowbirds. We have no swimmingpool here so the competition catches most of the families in the summer. It's pretty peaceful from the standpoint of children on the loose.

The little ones who do come with gramps and grammy are usually very closely supervised. They are so fun to watch and talk to. We live in western town and little kids may have on shorts and a T-shirt with accessories of cowboy hat, sheriff's badge, gun and boots. They go around shooting at imaginary bad guys and occasionaly falling down dead in the dirt. Our other guests also enjoy these little creatures. All too soon they will grow into those noisy, messy, teenagers that everyone complains about.

broadinthemarket

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement