UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: edyboom223 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190336  
Subject: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/8/2012 3:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey Everybody,

I have decided to clear out my computer. I am using an external hard drive to do this. However, I would like to store everything online as well in the "cloud." I'd feel better knowing that all of my pictures are in a safe place where I can access / download them if I have to in case my hard drives get destroyed.

What sites can I do this on? If you know several safe, reliable sites, please tell them to me.

If you have any personal recommendations / experience in doing this, please tell me about it.

I am looking to store less than 200GB of data. I'm assuming that there will be a yearly fee for this service, and that's not a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edyboom
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182089 of 190336
Subject: Re: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/8/2012 9:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Check out CrashPlan. I've started using them recently.

xSSMBB

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182090 of 190336
Subject: Re: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/8/2012 10:52 AM
Edy you say store =- storage is one thing, storing such that you can easily and quickly access files is another.

For Storage, just look/google for Backup. CrashPlan, Carbonite and BackBlaze are there. Read the fine print, and ask questions. Carbonite as recently as the fall off 2011 seriously throttled people trying to upload more than 35 GB. (They may have changed - which is why I say ask.)

If you want access (you mentioned images) than you have a different issue. You might check out Google Drive and the Microsoft product whose name I have forgotten.

Carbonite is OK for downloading a few files - you will have to wait a minute or two. BackBlaze can be a hour. If you are looking are recovering (or getting back) 200 GB you will be taking days to download that or you may be forced to accept delivery of a physical HDD.

My system is using a both a backup and HDD clone on my desktop. For the clone system I have 3 physical HDDs that I cycle on a weekly basis to a lockbox at my bank. Worst case, my house is destroyed and I loose a week's worth of data changes/downloads. (Here is the system I use for my backups. I have a Mac for my main PC, but this will work with Apple or Windows. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_...

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182091 of 190336
Subject: Re: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/8/2012 4:21 PM
If you have a work and a home PC you can try Live Mesh - its free, but only works on Windows.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182092 of 190336
Subject: Re: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/8/2012 4:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
storage is one thing, storing such that you can easily and quickly access files is another.

Storage is also different than backup. Storage is files you want to keep for a defined amount of time. That may be your lifetime. Backup is a copy of your files on your hard drive at a different location. That may be an external hard drive, tape or online. Many of the online services like Carbonite or Backblaze are backup services. If you delete a file on your hard drive, it is removed from the backup online. For some people, they want storage. They want to remove the files from their hard drive to free up space for other files. At the same time, they want to safely store the files that they deleted off of their system. Services for that may differ from the backup options.

PSU

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182094 of 190336
Subject: Re: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/8/2012 9:29 PM
If it is just pictures, get a free acct at shutterfly.com and upload all your photos there. Free to upload, download, and share w/friends.

Author: JimP102 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182097 of 190336
Subject: Re: Where can I store data online? Date: 10/10/2012 3:04 AM
Recommendations: 2
Bob Ranking has done several newsletters on this subject. Check out this one:
http://askbobrankin.com/carbonite_mozy_or_crashplan.html
You can access the others from the list of articles at the bottom of the page.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement