UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Re: Financial Makeover Date: 6/13/2007 9:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
where did I ever say I did not find spending time with my kids enjoyable? I am responding that I do not find raising kids to be luxury....quite the opposite...they are a blessing....my kids are my life...if you have read any of my posts in the past you would see that. When my DW and I decided to have kids we also decided to have one of us stay home and raise them....and DW actually wanted to be an AHMBC from the start...so I made everyone happy...I got a rewarding career, 4 wonderful kids, a happy wife, and well adjusted, well rounded, outstanding kids....

Luxury is a very comparative term. It can mean one thing to one person, and something else entirely to someone else.

I believe the problem is that you have a very restictive idea regarding luxuries. Luxury to you appears to mean expensive cars, Gucci bags, Caribbean cruises, and so on. If something costs a huge amount of money, it doesn't qualify as an ordinary way of life, it must be a luxury.

At a time of my life when I didn't have much money I would occasionally buy lunch at a specific cafe in town. The total cost might be around $7.00, and that included the tip. To me, at that time, it was a luxury. To people with a lot more money, it was a standard way of life.

I know people who would buy the cheapest cuts of meat, but who would always find the means to have flowers. That was their luxury, and they were willing to sacrifice for it.

Almost every day of my life I have had immediate access to clean running water. I have had this privilege so long that I regard it as a necessity. But a huge portion of the world's inhabitants would regard clean water, water that didn't have to be lugged somewhere, water that didn't have germs and sickness carried in it, as an extreme luxury.

I travel public transportation. I might complain, I might rant, but almost every day it's there, and it gets me to work and back. If it doesn't work properly, I get my money back. That's a luxury to people who have to walk because public transportation doesn't exist.

I get my mail delivered, I have heat during the winter, I get the roads plowed. I can afford to drive to a supermarket and buy food without wondering where the money is coming from.

There are people who work three jobs, and who do not have the opportunity to spend time with their children, because they are struggling so hard to pay the rent and put food on the table. They would regard the time you can spend with your children as an incredible luxury, one that they can't afford.

I know that I live a life of luxury, and that I'm lucky to have what I have, even if it seems terribly meagre to others. But I don't regard luxury as something with a huge price tag. I regard luxury as something beyond mere necessity.

It's too bad you don't appreciate the luck you have, being able to spend time with your children, in a safe place, with good food and clean water.

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement