No. of Recommendations: 0
Where did you see the bear?

We drove south out of Kodiak, past the Coast Guard station along Women's Bay and stopped just past a bridge. There was a creek and some marshy land along the bay. It was a young (probably 3 year old) bear that was probably kicked out of Mom's den, so definitely not ginormous. It was moving around the marshes/creek - I assume looking for food. We stayed on the road shoulder, so we weren't all that close - but it was still cool.

Last I looked, all three bears had the same latin name. Some biologist say there is one species..some say two (the grizzly and the brown). Some say three (grizzly, brown, and Kodiak).

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the Kodiak bear is a unique subspecies of brown bear: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=brownbear.trivia so I the 'official' stance is one species, with subspecies.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement