Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Where does any typical American get their food or dump their trash?

Most places have a dump within several miles. Not NYC. I recall stories of rotting barges years ago because they had (temporarily) no place to send them...but that is a minor point.

There is no doubt that NYC (generally) has low gasoline and electricity usage. But it is a very special case in a number of ways that makes drawing any conclusions or projections that other places could replicate a bit suspect.

- One is its geography...people that drive there probably don't buy gas there. Unlike other places that have numerous gas stations...NYC doesn't.
- lots of wealthy people do have residences there but live and fly elsewhere
- steam utility for building heat isn't counted
- high rises (due to high real estate costs) make it easy to have stricter building codes. Just enacting better building codes in other places could provide big efficiency gains without actually being in a dense city
- the city attracts people who are young, single and maybe enjoy the big city lifestyle. (Or maybe older but want the city lifestyle) Then may move away when the have families and consume more. This is a difficult demographic to capture, IMO.
- there is a difference between using more energy "because" you live in the suburbs vs using more because you "can" and... it is cheap. Personally, I live in the suburbs but use far less energy than any of these studies show because I made it a point to do so (solar thermal heat thanks to a non-dense southern view, extra insulation, PHEV car, energy efficient appliances blah, blah). Others could do this...they just don't.

I love going into cities. I love more leaving them and going home.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement