UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1950917  
Subject: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 1:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 35
Did Mitt Romney commit voter fraud when he cast a ballot for Scott Brown in last year's special election in Massachusetts? ...

...chronology of Romney's real estate moves since his failed presidential bid in 2008. ...Romney and his wife, Ann, bought a $12.5 million home in La Jolla, California in May 2008....A year later, in April 2009, the Romneys sold their home in Belmont, Massachusetts, for $3.5 million, and registered to vote from an address in the basement of an 8,000 square-foot Belmont manse owned by their son Tagg
[ed: he must've had this kid after meeting the Palins]. But where the Romneys really lived these past couple of years seems to be a bit of a mystery. While Romney was appearing at so many California political events people were speculating he was going to run for office there, the National Journal reported in May 2009 that the Romneys had made their primary residence a $10 million estate in New Hampshire.

Fraudulent voter registration in Massachusetts carries a penalty of $10,000 and up to five years in jail. And the law in Massachusetts is pretty clear about the residency requirements needed to vote in the state. The state defines residence as "where a person dwells and which is the center of his domestic, social, and civil life."

In July 2010, the Romneys bought an $895,000 attached townhouse in Belmont, on the grounds of the McLean Mental Hospital
[ed--on the grounds of a mental hospital?! did he really buy it for Sarah or Michele?], a move that finally gave Mitt a permanent Massachusetts address. Karger has asked the state to open an investigation into the Romneys' residency, as well as into whether they’ve been paying Massachusetts income taxes. The Romney campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Residency issues have plagued Mitt Romney in the past. When he campaigned for governor of Massachusetts in 2002, he ran into trouble because he had switched his residency to Utah three years earlier when he moved to Park City to take over the struggling Salt Lake Olympic operation. The move technically made him ineligible to run for office in Massachusetts, which requires seven years of continuous state residency before a candidate is eligible to run. After a lot of legal wrangling and paying back taxes, he was finally allowed on the ballot.

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/06/did-mitt-romney-commit-v...

Like one of the Commenters sez:

Maybe this is why they are so concerned about voter fraud: they assume everyone does it. To paraphrase Leona Helmsely, "Only the little people vote where they live."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672724 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 6:40 AM
Recommendations: 2
Maybe this is why they are so concerned about voter fraud: they assume everyone does it. To paraphrase Leona Helmsely, "Only the little people vote where they live."

Let me get this straight.

You are complaining about Romney's citizenship, because he temporarily moved to Utah to straighten out the Olympic committee?

This is your evidence that voter fraud is a republican problem, and that Dems are of course the party of the prissy, err I mean pristine?

And you get this from Mother Jones?

OK, after you finish with the Ring Dings, wake up, do a reset. Not that it is a rare occurrence but you are embarrassing yourself. I only tell you, because well, you do it so often, I know you have probably forgotten what that is, the knew growing tips in Mother Jones must be working well.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672725 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 6:45 AM
Recommendations: 0
You are complaining about Romney's citizenship, because he temporarily moved to Utah to straighten out the Olympic committee?

No, because he was secretly born in Outer Mongolia.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672739 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 8:55 AM
Recommendations: 1

Three years is a long "temporary." Where do you think he should've been voting during those 3 years? Reread this from the link:

the law in Massachusetts is pretty clear about the residency requirements needed to vote in the state. The state defines residence as "where a person dwells and which is the center of his domestic, social, and civil life."

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts had enough of a problem with it to charge Mitt 3 years of back taxes in order to "legalize" his claim. So it seems that if you're rich enough, you can buy an "indulgence" (shades of the Middle Ages-) on legal residency! Not to mention the issue with using his son's address as his legal address for 2 years, particularly since he apparently did not live there--it was only to maintain a fiction of Massachusetts residency...AGAIN!

PS--Did you have a problem with Rahm Emanuel running for mayor of Chicago after living in DC for a few years? There was a legal tangle over that, too.

PPS--hey, who even knows where I live?! Not even me. I've been subletting in NYC to babysit for my grandson. Going home soon.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672741 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 9:05 AM
I think it would be sad if answering the call from the Olympics to work for a time in making sure that the US is not a laughing stock of the world makes you lose legal residency in your hometown, whether you're a Democrat or a Republican.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672748 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 9:15 AM
It ain't a Weiner scandal, but it again shows the astounding hubris of these guys.

This belief in actions without consequences, rules don't apply to them.

Be funny if Karger gets real traction (other than say Maddow's trumpeting it) out of this.

Ken

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672750 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 9:17 AM
Be funny if Karger gets real traction (other than say Maddow's trumpeting it) out of this.

It would be real funny. Considering this is the same topic that liberals were supporting Rahm Emanuel for.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672756 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 9:32 AM
"It would be real funny. Considering this is the same topic that liberals were supporting Rahm Emanuel for."

Not seeing an equivalency. Different States/jurisdictions. Different rules.

Ken

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672765 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 9:55 AM
Go on ... Say it ...

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672779 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 10:54 AM
I suppose one "acid test" would be to compare his federal and MA income tax returns for the years in question. Did he always file both during those times and do they sync up? If not, there's a problem.

BG

Author: FreethinkerKW Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672785 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 11:21 AM
Recommendations: 3
Seriously, who thinks a Gordon Gecko type centi-millionaire and his wife would make the basement of their son's home their "primary" residence?

"Jeeves, after you park the limo, would you mine taking the clothes out of the wash and tossing them into the dryer? We're going to be busy making tuna sandwiches and watching the "Wheel of Fortune"."

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672791 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 11:58 AM
I think it's cute that you guys got your very own Birther issue here. I think that you should really demand the State of Mass. prosecute Romney.

What's that? Mass. Election officials said that the time to bring any voter fraud issue was soon after an election took place? Don't take that for an answer. You keep up the good work.

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672812 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 2
Romney lives in Right-Wing-Land, which has its own set of facts in a separate reality:

Bankrupting businesses while amassing a personal fortune is good.

God is a Republican.

The deficit doesn't matter unless a Democrat is President.

Tax cuts solve every problem.

A lie repeated loudly and often enough is always better than the truth.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672823 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 2:15 PM
I think it would be sad if answering the call from the Olympics to work for a time in making sure that the US is not a laughing stock of the world makes you lose legal residency in your hometown, whether you're a Democrat or a Republican.

It's not automatic. The question turns on what actions he took or didn't take.

For example, during the time he lived in Utah he did not pay the taxes that MA residents are required to pay. Did he change his voter registration to Utah? How about his car registration? Would his kids have paid resident or non-resident tuition if they had gone to college during that time?

Every state has their own rules as to what you have to do to establish residency. Did Mitt Romney comply with those rules in all the states that he owns property?

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672882 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 4:35 PM
And the Ballot Law Commission in Massachusetts have spoken on Romney's Mass residency when he ran for governor.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672885 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 4:39 PM
And the Ballot Law Commission in Massachusetts have spoken on Romney's Mass residency when he ran for governor.

I believe they decided that he was indeed a Massachusetts resident who cheated on his taxes.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672886 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 4:43 PM
how did he not get drafted into the Obama administration?
http://www.oneangryman.com/ken/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ob...

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672888 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 4:46 PM
Obama already had his quota of Mormons.

To be honest, I hope that Romney does get the GOP nomnination. It will show progress in the party.

Author: FolacinTheAcidic Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672890 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 5:02 PM

Of course, the point of the original post wasn't Romney's run for the governorship (which, as you point out, was resolved) - it was potential voter fraud if he voted in the Scott Brown election without being a legal resident.

I'm sure he had a photo ID, though, so everything was fine.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672895 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 5:17 PM
Says Belmont Town Clerk Ellen Cushman:
“Since he meets all the requirements to vote in the country – he’s over 18, an American citizen and a resident of the town – he is and has been registered to vote in Belmont,” she said.

http://belmont.patch.com/articles/did-mitt-commit-voter-frau...

Don't let that stop the Orly Taitz brigade in making some mountains out of this. Funny, funny, funny.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672898 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 5:24 PM
To me, this is the relevant fact:

"Nor does it appear Romney has attempted to change his official residency since 2008. According to Rosemary Norling at the San Diego County Registrar of Voters, Romney is not and never has been a registered voter in San Diego County. Romney owns at $12 million home in the tony La Jolla neighborhood of San Diego."

Unless someone comes with something else, that closes the book on this "issue" for me. He's a resident of MA.

Author: MBAFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672928 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 7:29 PM
I think it would be sad if answering the call from the Olympics...

Answering the call?

The Olympics isn't a church. It's a business.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672938 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 7:58 PM
Answering the call?

#1: I think that they probably called on a phone though. "Uh, Mitt, we're hip deep in graft and corruption...could you come to SLC for a spell?"

#2: I was copying the verbiage from this post: http://boards.fool.com/i-think-it-would-be-sad-if-answering-... that alstro posted defending Rahm against citizenship controversy.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1672955 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/17/2011 9:47 PM
I think it would be sad if answering the call from the Olympics...

Answering the call?

heh... growing up Mormon-- the line between those isn't all that clear

(>,

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1673007 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/18/2011 10:50 AM
how did he not get drafted into the Obama administration?
http://www.oneangryman.com/ken/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ob......

There were rumors he might be competent.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1673155 of 1950917
Subject: Re: Where does Mitt Romney live? Date: 6/19/2011 12:21 AM
There were rumors he might be competent.

Those rumours will probably cost him the Republican nomination. Of course the rumours probably aren't true, but that won't matter.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement