UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LouisianaBoy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: where to find bonds Date: 2/7/2006 2:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Hi,

A novice question. But where is a good site to I search for the corporate bonds of a particular company or municipality? I tried Yahoo Bond Look Up and my brokerage website, but it seems you almost need to know something about the issue name beforehand. Even bonds from the same co. could be listed with different names (ex. "GE ..." and "General Elec ..").

regards,
LB

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15259 of 35357
Subject: Re: where to find bonds Date: 2/7/2006 10:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If you want an easy way to browse, try looking at the holdings of Vanguard bond funds (look under portfolio on their holdings pages).

Here's a link for the Total Bond Index Fund

http://flagship5.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw/FundsAllHoldings?FundId=0084&FundIntExt=INT&tableName=Bond&tableIndex=0

You should be able to browse their high yield fund or muni funds the same way, though they don't do junky junk. These holdings lists give you coupon, face value, and current value (probably not actually current, since they don't update this stuff every day).

The annual reports (and semiannual), which you can download as PDFs, list CUSIP numbers which is one way to find bonds on most brokerage sites.

I find this easiest for just playing around.

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15268 of 35357
Subject: Re: where to find bonds Date: 2/7/2006 1:16 PM
Try,

http://personal.fidelity.com/research/fixedincome/fixedincome_frame.shtml?bar=c

Then click on one of the secondary market offering links like "Corporate" to do a search.

Your brokerage probably has something similar.

Part of the problem with bonds is that the only ones that will show up on most searchs like these(as I inexpertly understand it) are the ones that Fidelity(or whoever) has available for sale right now which will be a small fraction of the bonds that might be outstanding somewhere.

Once you have found a bond, it gets even tricker to figure out if they are offering it for a reasonable markup.

Greg

Author: imdajunkman Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15269 of 35357
Subject: Re: where to find bonds Date: 2/7/2006 1:42 PM
"Once you have found a bond, it gets even tricker to figure out if they are offering it for a reasonable markup.

Greg,

That statement is not correct. Determining what the markup is easy.

What is hard is determing whether the risk of the bond is advantageously priced compared to one's other opportunities.

Charlie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement