UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pelode Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46803  
Subject: where to go for free sec info? Date: 5/7/2005 1:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools!

I was just about to dig into some investing research when I found out that freeedgar.com is no longer being supported. Are there other free sources for regularly updated annual/quarterly reports? The Fool seems to lag on these.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBigFrog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38253 of 46803
Subject: Re: where to go for free sec info? Date: 5/7/2005 3:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Jonathan,

When freeedgar went away, I shifted myself over to the SEC itself. http://edgar.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html is a good place to start...

Hope this helps,
-Chuck

Author: mrchw Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38254 of 46803
Subject: Re: where to go for free sec info? Date: 5/7/2005 3:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
Johnathan,

here's a link directly to the SEC:

http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html

Cameron

Author: Calpinist Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38255 of 46803
Subject: Re: where to go for free sec info? Date: 5/7/2005 3:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
Edgarscan is another place to look:
http://edgarscan.pwcglobal.com/servlets/edgarscan

PWC's formatting is better than the FreeEdgar site.

Regards,
Calpinist

Author: StuyvesantGrad70 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38260 of 46803
Subject: Re: where to go for free sec info? Date: 5/7/2005 10:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
www.secinfo.com
Free site. If you use it heavily, they may ask you to register, but it's still free.
“Securities Information from the SEC EDGAR® database for sophisticated business professionals”
Filings by type (10·K/10·Q Reports, Registrations, ...)
Mergers, Acquisitions and Tender offers (14D/Fs, 13Es & S·4s)
Institutional ownership (13D/Gs, 13Fs & N-30s)
Proxies (Preliminary & Definitive 14A/Cs)
Late Filing Notices (NTs)
SIC Codes (Standard Industrial Classification Codes)
IPO Filings (S·1s, SB·1s, Prospectuses, ...)

www.edgarscan.pwcglobal.com/servlets/edgarscan
Free site. No subscription required.
“EdgarScanTM: An Intelligent Interface to the SEC EDGAR Database. EdgarScan is an interface to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis and Retrieval (SEC EDGAR) Filings. EdgarScan pulls filings from the SEC's servers and parses them automatically to find key financial tables and normalize financials to a common format that is comparable across companies. Using hyperlinks we can go directly to specific sections of the filing, including the financial statements, footnotes, extracted financial data and computed ratios. A small (35 kilobytes) Java applet called the "Benchmarking Assistant" performs graphical financial benchmarking interactively. Tables showing company comparisons can be downloaded as Excel charts and registered users can store company portfolios for future benchmarking.”

www.10kwizard.com
Not a free site. Subscribers only. “Please call for pricing.”
“10K Wizard developed a proprietary software to search through the myriad of information available to the public via the SEC's EDGAR (Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis and Retrieval) system. The results? Real-time access and the unique ability to perform keyword searches on up-to-the-minute SEC filings.”

www.edgar-online.com
Not a free site. Subscribers only. $1,200.00 annual subscription for Edgar-online Pro.
“EDGAR Online, Inc. (Nasdaq: EDGR) is a leading provider of value-added business and financial information on global companies to financial, corporate, and advisory professionals. The company makes its information and a variety of analysis tools available via online subscriptions and licensing agreements to a large user base.”

www.freeedgar.com
No longer a free site, despite the name. Subscribers only. One week free trial.
“As we have expanded the functionality in our EDGAR Online Pro product significantly over the last year we are no longer continuing to support the FreeEDGAR website. As a FreeEDGAR visitor we invite you to test drive a free one week subscription to our premium services. Just fill out the form below to get started.”

www.atedgar.com
Not a free site. Subscribers only, $199.95 a year.

Author: madmarv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38267 of 46803
Subject: Re: where to go for free sec info? Date: 5/8/2005 4:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
www.madmarvonline.com/datasources.html

Other's have mentioned EDGAR and 10kwizard, but Morningstar is often overlooked. Their link to SEC filings will redirect you to the appropriate EDGAR search page so the filings won't have any lag.

Morningstar also harvests financial data from 10-Ks. I've written web queries to pull these tables directly into Excel to populate my spreadsheet.

www.madmarvonline.com/spreadsheets.html

Marv

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement