UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: susan400 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: where to open a roth ira? Date: 4/4/2010 3:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
i am going to open a couple of ROTH IRAs,
they will be 10k or so each to start.
i am going to buys stks and sit on them,
little trading .

where is a good place to put em? low fees, comm and no extra fees if no activity.

vanguard?

TIA
susan400
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66915 of 76384
Subject: Re: where to open a roth ira? Date: 4/4/2010 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
little trading .

where is a good place to put em? low fees, comm and no extra fees if no activity.

vanguard?

If you are buying stocks, rather than investing in Vanguard's mutual funds, you are probabl better off using another brokerage service, unless you have at least $500k invested at Vanguard. Below that level, Vanguard's stock trade commissions are $20 ($100k - $500k) or $25 (less than $100k). From $500k - $1 million, the stock trade commissions are $12. Above $1 million, stock trades are commission free.

There are several discount brokers where you can get trades between $7 and $10 without minimum account balances.

There is a Discount Broker board here http://boards.fool.com/discount-brokers-100146.aspx where you might get some additional guidance.

AJ

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66916 of 76384
Subject: Re: where to open a roth ira? Date: 4/4/2010 8:25 PM
Fidelity now charges $7.95 per trade.

Donna

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66917 of 76384
Subject: Re: where to open a roth ira? Date: 4/5/2010 12:58 AM
If you would feel more comfortable opening your account in person then Fidelity and TD Ameritrade have pretty low fees and they have offices in most major cities.

Greg

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66918 of 76384
Subject: Re: where to open a roth ira? Date: 4/5/2010 11:49 AM
Recommendations: 4
i am going to open a couple of ROTH IRAs,
they will be 10k or so each to start.
little trading .

I'm slightly confused abut your $10k to start. Are you converting traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs? Or are you putting in two years of contributions (2009 and 2010) into a new Roth IRA? The reason I am asking is that you can't put in $10k in new contributions for one tax year.

PSU

Author: susan400 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66945 of 76384
Subject: Re: where to open a roth ira? Date: 4/9/2010 11:45 PM
PSU hi- yrsago we emailed.

yes 2 yrs + maybe conveting a 5k old traditional IRA to ROTH

susan400

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement