UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: NarnCeredir One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75661  
Subject: Where to Rollover? Date: 4/13/2011 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi everyone,

I will be beginning a new job this fall, and the main retirement vehicle is a hybrid pension system (the Wisconsin Retirement System -- I created a thread a month ago on this topic). I have close to $25,000 in a 403 (b) at my current university, and am seeking some advice on where I should move this money. I currently have a Roth IRA with Ameritrade, but am trying to weigh my options.

I could rollover these funds directly into the WRS, where I'm guaranteed by law a 5% return per year (and in the past 25 years the fund has averaged a 10.3% return per year). Additionally, my new university offers a 403 (b) as well as a 457. The 457 is most attractive, as if I opened an IRA, I planned on investing in Vanguard's Wellington Fund, which is offered as an option in the 457. There is an account maintenance fee of $1 per month, adding an additional dollar at $50,000, then $100,000, etc. The Wellington fund is of the Admiral Shares variety, though, so the operating expenses plus monthly fee would be less than if I opened a traditional IRA with a regular Wellington investment with Vanguard, at least for quite awhile. I'm not sure where the breaking point would be.

My other option is to open an IRA with Vanguard or to open an IRA with Ameritrade. I am correct in assuming that I cannot rollover my 403 (b) into my Roth IRA? I would like to keep contributing to whatever type of vehicle I choose, as my student loan repayments are based on my adjusted gross income, and thus I can significantly lower my AGI through investing in a 403 (b), 457, or traditional IRA. I do fall below the phaseout range for IRA deductions, and probably will for at least 10 years. One caveat is that I am not married, but this may change soon, and we would file our taxes married filing separately so that my student loan payments would not take her income into account. Then the IRA deduction wouldn't apply, as I believe the phaseout is in the $0 to $10,000 range.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-Narn Ceredir
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement