Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6601  
Subject: Where to Start? Date: 10/14/2012 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not even sure what to do or say, but here goes:

Found out that Mom has run up two credit cards. One $15K and the other $5K. <sigh> She says "I need to sell some stuff", but of course, could liquify everything and not have $20K in assets to sell.

DD#2's BF is amazing! We drove up to Mom's yesterday morning, her removed the air shocks from her car and replaced them with standard shocks from a conversion kit. A job that had been quoted to Mom for almost $1,000 ended up costing me $230 for the kit along with lunch and gas for DD#2 and BF to drive up with me. This guy is a keeper!

I did find out that Mom has a Morgan dollar, circa 1887. I'm going to talk to my coin dealer this week to see what she could possibly get for it. I've seen stuff ranging from $30 for the meltdown price to $2,000 numanistic value in pristine condition. Hopefully, she'll get something better than melt value for it. It's in really nice condition.

DD#1 and her husband are currently looking for a new place to live. Her DH's father is an alcoholic who is what my grandmother always termed a "mean drunk" DD#1's DH is a welder and his company has a branch in the same town Mom lives in. Mom's next door neighbor wants to move, and we might be able to get him a transfer and make arrangements for then to rent the house from Mom's neighbor. The house is really old, paid off, and it could provide a little extra income to Mom's neighbor while allowing for DD#1 and her family the opportunity to get the heck out of her FIL's house. Periodically, he gets drunk and tells them "I want you out by the end of the month" I'd personally love to see the look on his face if they just said "Okay" and packed up. I'll pay for the rental van.

We kinda tricked Mom into accepting $60. DD#2's BF said that he was interested in the old 22 my grandfather had. After calling around to some gun stores, we learned the value is only about $50. I had $60 in my pocket, so I slipped the money onto a table next to Mom's chair while she was in the other room. Mom had been adamant that I not "give" her any money on this trip, so when she questioned the money, DD#2s BF said "Oh, I wanted to go ahead and buy that gun from you" Mom was touched, BF got points from DD#2, and I was able to give Mom some pocket money for the week. She didn't count the money until after we left and actually called to ask if she should send $10 back as change? No, Mom. He wanted to pay $60 for the gun. So I guess in reality, we spent $230, lunch, gas, and a gun ;0)

Next week, I'll see about selling a few coins and then send Mom a couple of hundred with the notation that I sold them (no, they aren't worth that much.

If I tell her I sold them, which is the truth, I don't have to tell her if they only net $10 bucks each, right?).

LWW
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement