No. of Recommendations: 1
Cross post from Insurance Forum:

Greetings, Fools!

I am in the process of buying my first single family home. I previously owned a condo, and felt like I had a good handle on what we needed for condo insurance.

With homeowners, there is no 'master policy' on the building, so I am a little more concerned with 'getting it right'.

I figured, before calling an insurance agent, I should do a little homework. Enter this forum :-)

So, I am buying a home, and have an existing umbrella policy. I know that means, for liability, I need to have a certain minimum coverage on the home.

I *think* I will be looking for a policy that offers full replacement of contents and rebuilds at market value. I also *think* that I will be looking for a policy that indexes with inflation, to hedge against being under-insured in the future?

Finally, I *think* I will be looking for an additional 'inland-marine' policy for my wife's wedding ring, if single family homeowners policy is anything like my condo policy?

What else should I be considering? I appreciate any and all advice on this!

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.