UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (110) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TreyAnas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726078  
Subject: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/26/2013 10:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I thought this board was about retiring early, but it seems to be an anti-Democrat board. Is there a healthy early retirement discussion going on somewhere at the Fool?

Thanks, Trey
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668413 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/26/2013 11:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anti-Democrat and proud of it!

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668415 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 12:05 AM
Recommendations: 20
Hi Trey,

I thought this board was about retiring early, but it seems to be an anti-Democrat board.

Nope, its not anti-Democrat... although if you're not paying attention and just skimming the surface you might make that mistake.

This community is about retiring early, at the lifestyle quality you have earned, (which is virtually always a significantly better lifestyle than the average schmo,) and *staying* retired in that fashion. We are simply against all the people who are against this.

All statist actions are, by definition, against our purposes.
Some of our current Republicans are statists.
100% of *ALL* of our current Democrats are statists.

Do the math, and you're going to see a lot more anti-Democrat sentiment here... but look closely, the the bloatist/statist RINO Republicans get their share of crap as well.

You're welcome,
Dave

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668417 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 12:24 AM
"Anti-Democrat and proud of it!" - Catherine

Somebody you love is a Democrat. Your son. How does that make you feel?

Art

Author: TreyAnas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668419 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 12:59 AM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks, Dave,

So my question is, is there a place where a healthy discussion of early retirement is happening?

I realize you have strong opinions on politics. Maybe we should ask the Fool to set up a board for emotional partisan rants from all sides ... then the rest of us can use this board to discuss things like investing to retire early and after retiring early, tax planning, finding affordable private health insurance, and so on.

Since I retired early, I'd find these actionable financial topics more useful than lists of things people are against.

You're welcome, too! Peace, Trey

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668424 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 2:10 AM
Somebody you love is a Democrat. Your son. How does that make you feel?

Very sad.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668429 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 4:24 AM
Recommendations: 7
So my question is, is there a place where a healthy discussion of early retirement is happening?

If you have a question, ask it. You'll get plenty of answers here, some serious and some humorous.

One of the reasons we delve off into politics is that most of the retire early questions have been discussed plenty of times (check the FAQ). Besides, what the knuckleheaded politicians are currently doing WILL effect retirement. We also ponder the meaning of life (separation and duality), football (why the SEC is far superior, Geaux Tigers), movies, exercise, diets, medicine (and how it was a bad career move, yes I'm posting at 330AM) and travel destinations. All for the same reason, the financial retirement questions have been answered and these are the retirement questions we're left with.

So ask your question.

JLC

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668432 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:11 AM
Recommendations: 3
"Do the math, and you're going to see a lot more anti-Democrat sentiment here... but look closely, the the bloatist/statist RINO Republicans get their share of crap as well.

You're welcome,
Dave"

In short, then, Trey, it's equal opportunity deep resentment of others! One would never guess from this board that, miracle upon miracles, people compromise to solve important problems every day of the year. As Dave's language points out, personalized attacks--rather than policy criticisms--hold great value here. The more self-righteous, the better.

There's a corresponding left-leaning board on the Motley Fool. I spend time reading both. Most here will disagree (and I'll await my lambasting as a lily-livered liberal!), but the easiest way to participate actively on the Camp FIRE board is to take an unapologetically militant, aggressive, derisive stance and refuse ever to budge an inch. It's a little party without festivities--a small-scale tea party, as it were.

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668436 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:21 AM
I thought this board was about retiring early, but it seems to be an anti-Democrat board. Is there a healthy early retirement discussion going on somewhere at the Fool?

Thanks, Trey

Check the link below.

Then go back to the first post of this board & read thru acoupla years.

Then ask specific questions.

http://boards.fool.com/faq-revised-may-04-2004-20740602.aspx...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668437 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:21 AM
"Somebody you love is a Democrat. Your son. How does that make you feel?" - Art
-------------
"Very sad." - Catherine

----------------

Ironic isn't it. Funny how life works out that way. Separation seems to find us whether we want it to or not. It's not like you have to go looking for it. It will find you all on its own.

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668438 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:22 AM
Recommendations: 19
In short, then, Trey, it's equal opportunity deep resentment of others! One would never guess from this board that, miracle upon miracles, people compromise to solve important problems every day of the year.
------------------------------------------------------------
Well in my opinion compromise is overrated. The middle ground between a solution and something which has never worked isn't really optimal to me. Like the democrats and their tax the rich solutions. The research shows cutting spending works best in countries which have tried, but that doesn't matter to dems because they're after dividing the country for political gain, not solutions. That's why they're just waiting for republicans to offer ideas so they can demonize it for political gain, like the pushing granny off the cliff stuff. Compromise is fine with someone that is grounded in reality and is honestly trying to find a solution, dems are not.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668440 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:26 AM
Recommendations: 15

Thanks, Trey

Check the link below.

Then go back to the first post of this board & read thru acoupla years.

Then ask specific questions.

http://boards.fool.com/faq-revised-may-04-2004-20740602.aspx......
---------------------------------------------------------
Don't even bother, they aren't interested in retirement discussions, that much is obvious. I wonder who these "newbies" really are. Funny he's a new guy but he reads both boards and knows everything about the Fool, weird. Probably one of the PA board freaks that is greyed out by most of the board so he created a new name to get a few pokes in.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668442 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:29 AM
Recommendations: 6
Don't even bother, they aren't interested in retirement discussions, that much is obvious. I wonder who these "newbies" really are. Funny he's a new guy but he reads both boards and knows everything about the Fool, weird. Probably one of the PA board freaks that is greyed out by most of the board so he created a new name to get a few pokes in.
-----------------

That was my theory. Anyone who's first post on a board is a bunch of insults is suspect.

arrete

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668443 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:34 AM
Recommendations: 13
-----------------

That was my theory. Anyone who's first post on a board is a bunch of insults is suspect.

arrete
---------------
Lord knows they aren't averse to creating new accounts to rec themselves, this is really no different. We already caught GoofyHoofy using another moniker, i'm sure they all do it. It's a sickness.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668444 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:38 AM
Recommendations: 2
Lord knows they aren't averse to creating new accounts to rec themselves, this is really no different. We already caught GoofyHoofy using another moniker, i'm sure they all do it. It's a sickness.
------------------

It's a waste of time. Do they really have nothing better to do?

arrete

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668445 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:40 AM
It's a waste of time. Do they really have nothing better to do?

arrete

They're bored sitting in mommy's & daddy's basement?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668446 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:44 AM
Got to this from "best of"...

This is a political board. There is however a very good retirement board:
Investing Strategies/Retirement Investing.

I would recommend the OP go there for retirement discussions. It's calm and non-political.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668448 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:46 AM
I would recommend the OP go there for retirement discussions. It's calm and non-political.
------------------------------------------------------
Trust me, they aren't interested.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668449 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:51 AM
Recommendations: 8
I thought this board was about retiring early, but it seems to be an anti-Democrat board.

TreyM

One reason the board seems to be populated by posters who are not enthralled with Democrats is because policies espoused by Democrat politicians are not conducive to FIRE.

Add in Democrats' opposition to the USA Constitution (i.e. they are against the secnd amendment) and this can explain the animosity towards Democrats.

Now I don't know if you're trolling here, but if you are not the above is my opinion.

Mike

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668450 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:00 AM
In short, then, Trey, it's equal opportunity deep resentment of others! One would never guess from this board that, miracle upon miracles, people compromise to solve important problems every day of the year. As Dave's language points out, personalized attacks--rather than policy criticisms--hold great value here. The more self-righteous, the better.

There's a corresponding left-leaning board on the Motley Fool. I spend time reading both. Most here will disagree (and I'll await my lambasting as a lily-livered liberal!), but the easiest way to participate actively on the Camp FIRE board is to take an unapologetically militant, aggressive, derisive stance and refuse ever to budge an inch. It's a little party without festivities--a small-scale tea party, as it were.

icono5

For a newbie who joined TMF on 1/24/2103 you appear to have a deep knowledge of the TMF boards. Hmm, you would not be a dopple would you? All I know is before I started posting here I took a lot of time to lurk and learn the culture of the board that I selected as the board on which I would post.

Here is my answer to the OP's question.

"One reason the board seems to be populated by posters who are not enthralled with Democrats is because policies espoused by Democrat politicians are not conducive to FIRE.

Add in Democrats' opposition to the USA Constitution (i.e. they are against the secnd amendment) and this can explain the animosity towards Democrats.

Now I don't know if you're trolling here, but if you are not the above is my opinion."

TMF is not the only website where an aspiring early retiree can gain valuable investment information.

I like the Bogleheads site and I am a Vanguard index fund investor.

http://www.bogleheads.org/

This ER board is pretty good and is moderated so if politics are your cup of tea try it out.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

Mike

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668451 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:01 AM

Where's that Frowny Face icon? Ah, here it is.....

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668453 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:28 AM

Healthy? We got flax seed, low carb eating, exercise lots of healthy stuff

You can find investing if you look.

Of course there are even more posts that will tick you off. Since politics and retirement are very closely linked. Healthcare, Social Security, Taxation, State related tax issues, inheritance, lifestyle punishment(like the tax punishment for smokers, what's next) all issues that impact an early retirement at least as much as investment choice. In fact I doubt you will find a group that really WANTS DESPERATELY NOT TO DISCUSS these topics, but they are all brought to our attention because they are such vital issues to our retirements, our futures and our present!

The fact is as other have mentioned, bring what you want to ta about investment wise, and you will get a pretty well informed set of responses, of course all the responses you get will be stuff that has been posted and read here by all the foks dozen of times for those who are regulars. so it is not a recurring thread, since the strategies do not really change, unless politics force them to, like why we are facing inflation and what to do about it -- how bad will it be -- how do you ignore that, and so on

You want just a fairly focuses low post environment for recent retirement and those facing it, try

http://boards.fool.com/fire-wannabees-116370.aspx?mid=304803...

This may be what you are looking for.

Otherwise, pop a marshmallow on a stick (or preferably) a piece of bacon) and put it out over the campfire, have a seat and discuss what you want and toss the rest

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668455 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:39 AM
This ER board is pretty good and is moderated so if politics are your cup of tea try it out.

Mike

I would add:
http://www.raddr-pages.com/forums/

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668458 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 11:03 AM
icono5 wrote: ...the easiest way to participate [...] is to take an unapologetically militant, aggressive, derisive stance and refuse ever to budge an inch. It's a little party without festivities--a small-scale tea party, as it were.

Nawww...you gotta go to PA for that.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668481 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 1:05 PM
Hey Trey,

I see you are retired and have been a fool since 1998. You sure don't post much.

I see you like the Options board and that's one way to having to go back to work.

Perhaps, you could share with us how and when you retired?

LD

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668491 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 2:05 PM
Come back when you've sobered up from the liberal koolaide and can speak rationally and honestly.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668492 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 2:08 PM
Come back when you've sobered up from the liberal koolaide and can speak rationally and honestly instead of having a multiple moniker.

Author: TreyAnas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668509 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 3:28 PM
Hi, CC,

As it happens, I started getting serious about retirement around the time I joined the Fool in 1998. I was finally able to retire in mid-2007 at age 48 (interesting timing with respect to the Great Recession I might add). Though I've read a lot of "open Fool" blogs and edited commentary over the years, you're right, I haven't commented much. Recently, I signed up for a couple of the subscription services (including MF Options) and am finding the advice and much of the discussion interesting and thoughtful (and invariably civil).

I'd be happy to share my experiences but don't know that too many would be interested. I'm certainly not interested into being lambasted by people who haven't a clue about my political or social views.

Take it easy, Trey

BTW ... I don't have any Fool accounts but this one.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668512 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 3:34 PM
Recommendations: 7
I'd be happy to share my experiences but don't know that too many would be interested. I'm certainly not interested into being lambasted by people who haven't a clue about my political or social views.
---------------------------------------------------
Ahhh, you want other people to talk about retirement issues but you don't want to. Sorry, we aren't trained seals. I post what interests me and i'm assuming everyone else does too. If you post about retirement issues my guess is you'd get alot of responses and thoughts.

Author: TreyAnas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668514 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 3:49 PM
You read me wrong, 28. I'd be happy to respond, if someone had a question I can address. I'd be happy to ask a question, if I had a specific one. I'd be happy to respond others' comments on retirement ropics if I had something useful to add.

Nothing sinister here. Trey

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668518 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 16

Thanks, Trey

You read me wrong, 28. I'd be happy to respond, if someone had a question I can address. I'd be happy to ask a question, if I had a specific one. I'd be happy to respond others' comments on retirement ropics if I had something useful to add.

Nothing sinister here. Trey
-------------------------------------------------
So let me get this straight. You want a "healthy early retirement discussion" but you don't have a specific question to ask. That's the problem, i don't have a specific question either. I tinker with my portfolio here and there and reinvest dividends, i'm slowly building a snowball dividend stream. I really don't have any questions, i have a game plan and am in the process of living it out. Things which could affect my game plan, dividend tax rate, capital gains rate, Obamacare, the EPA on my oil and gas stocks, etc. etc. The list is really endless of political implications on retirement. I have much more confidence in myself being able to retire early and stay retired than i do the governments ability to make retirement less possible. I'm not sure that last sentence made sense but you get the idea.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668520 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 4:05 PM
i'm slowly building a snowball dividend stream.

Doing 2012 taxes. I had $1600+ in DRIP dividends for the year. Now, if I hadn't lost all of the money in bank stocks.....

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668524 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 4:12 PM
Doing 2012 taxes. I had $1600+ in DRIP dividends for the year. Now, if I hadn't lost all of the money in bank stocks.....
----------------------------------------------
I lost a bit in Lloyds, that set me back, it paid a great dividend all the way up until it didn't <g>.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668527 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 4:20 PM
"I thought this board was about retiring early, but it seems to be an anti-Democrat board. Is there a healthy early retirement discussion going on somewhere at the Fool?

Thanks, Trey "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a liberal off-shoot of the retire early financially independent
discussions - but there you get a recurring anti-Tea Party and
Republicans are evil swill.
Both of the boards have worth-while things on occasion and both have some
pretty wonderful folks - but both have a political "view".

You will find that politics is a very routine thing that comes
up every so often on almost all boards.
People tend to be political.
Retirement programs and benefits tend to get a lot of attention -
and well they do come out of a government that is pushed
hither and yond by political winds
And people also tend to like to stir the pot - so you find
folks who have little else to do post drivel intended to get a
response - like putting a stick in from of a snapping turtle.
You will find trolls under some bridges.
Just in case you are really asking a serious question - yes there
are other retirement related boards.
Go to the "Boards" tab at the bottom of the "blue" stripe at the top of the screen and click on it - then you can look at various categories
of boards on TMF - you can find "Retirement Discussions" where you
can find several - you can go to "Investing Strategies" - and all
sorts of very intriguing boards.
There are a lot more discussions around - and several boards actively
avoid political carping.

Howie52

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668535 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 4:57 PM
Here are a bunch of reitrement posts from 2002. Most are still pertinent. And unless someone has a question, we're not likely to just spout stuff.

http://boards.fool.com/classic-fire-posts-18346012.aspx?sort...

arrete

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668536 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:01 PM
ascenzm: "For a newbie who joined TMF on 1/24/2103 you appear to have a deep knowledge of the TMF boards. Hmm, you would not be a dopple would you? All I know is before I started posting here I took a lot of time to lurk and learn the culture of the board that I selected as the board on which I would post.

Actually, ascenzm, I did much the same. I have "lurked" on these boards for years and am grateful to the community for all the information shared. I am not a doppel, so I'll have to learn to make my own impression! I likely won't post nearly as often to the Camp FIRE as elsewhere, since realistically it wouldn't do much good. This is a place for true believers, and I don't share the faith.

Peace.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668537 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:03 PM
Don't look now arrete but the Caps are up 3-1 with 13 minutes left.

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668538 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:07 PM
2828: "Don't even bother, they aren't interested in retirement discussions, that much is obvious. I wonder who these "newbies" really are. Funny he's a new guy but he reads both boards and knows everything about the Fool, weird. Probably one of the PA board freaks that is greyed out by most of the board so he created a new name to get a few pokes in."

It's easier to try to impeach motive than it is to confront the merits of an argument. But much of the discussion on this board relishes the former more than the latter. As I just pointed out elsewhere in this thread, I have lurked on the Fool for years. I decided recently that I would like to contribute and not just lurk--you know, none that of continued free-loading that is such anathema. :) You don't have to believe that, of course, if another perspective better suits your world view. But the fact won't be any less true as a result. Trey happened to pose his question just after I submitted my application to post. Coincidences do happen from time to time.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668540 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:12 PM
Hi, CC,

As it happens, I started getting serious about retirement around the time I joined the Fool in 1998. I was finally able to retire in mid-2007 at age 48 (interesting timing with respect to the Great Recession I might add). Though I've read a lot of "open Fool" blogs and edited commentary over the years, you're right, I haven't commented much. Recently, I signed up for a couple of the subscription services (including MF Options) and am finding the advice and much of the discussion interesting and thoughtful (and invariably civil).

Take it easy, Trey

>>>>>>>>

I'm not CC, but I'm the one that made that comment.

You could tell us how you retired in mid 07. Was it luck? Was it a forced retirement? How do you manage your money/investments now? How much do you live on? Family considerations?

I've never done the Options thing, once I learned that you could lose your shirt in a hurry if you don't pay close, daily attention. I don't want to lose my shirt at all.

You got jumped because people from PA board and elsewhere, come here and post the same thing, trying to get a rise out of the board regulars, it's a ruse.

So, if you are truly interested you can hang around and share what and how you manage your retirement.

LuckyDog

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668542 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:16 PM
Recommendations: 9
It's easier to try to impeach motive than it is to confront the merits of an argument.
--------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what the merits of the argument were to tell you the truth. The board name changed from the Retire Early board to the Retire Early CampFIRE because it isn't only about just retirement only anymore, it's more about retired people figuratively around a campfire talking about whatever comes up. The retire early topic has been done to death, in 1999 it was a new and novel idea, to many it was revolutionary thinking about it, now many of those same people are actually living it out in real-time and it's newness has worn off.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668546 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:33 PM
We also talk about birds and music and share youtube videos that particularly strike the depths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668548 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:34 PM
I should have said....sunk to the depths. :)

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668550 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:36 PM
This is a place for true believers, and I don't share the faith.

No, you're just a true believer of a different faith.

Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668557 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 5:58 PM
As Dave's language points out, personalized attacks--rather than policy criticisms--hold great value here. The more self-righteous, the better.

OK, I had to go back upthread & re-re-re-re-read my post to see if I could glean *ANYTHING* that fits 'icono5's' description...

My response; Huh?????

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668561 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 6:30 PM
It's not in Dwdonhoff's DNA to personally attack anyone. He will, however, point out the holes in one's personally held ideology. If the shoe fits...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668563 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 6:34 PM
"Besides, what the knuckleheaded politicians are currently doing WILL effect retirement." - JLC

Just as an aside, speaking of retirement, as far as I can tell the knuckleheaded Republicans seem to be just as spendthrift and ill managed as the Democrats. Neither side seems all that good at balancing the budget and living within their means.

I could do a better job than either party. I'm pretty sure of that. You wouldn't believe what a frugal tightwad cheapskate tightwad I am.

And believe you me I've fired plenty of people between managing a restaurant and Laboratory animal facilities. I've had all kinds of shiftless loser ner-do-wells working for me that couldn't make it into work on time and/or come in to work at all.

I'd clean house and start all over.

Art

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668564 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 6:40 PM
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

Just as an aside, speaking of retirement, as far as I can tell the knuckleheaded Republicans seem to be just as spendthrift and ill managed as the Democrats. Neither side seems all that good at balancing the budget and living within their means.

Yep. Voting fer the lesser of two evils just ain't workin. Dubya had the record for largest expansion of entitlements in 50 years til Obama. I'd be ashamed of a legacy that burdened the future generations of American. Both Dubya & Obama are bursting with pride.

Wwe had the best gov't lobbyists & special interests can buy. Phooey!

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668567 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 6:50 PM
They won. I am happy?

arrete

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668569 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 6:53 PM
Recommendations: 5
I could do a better job than either party. I'm pretty sure of that. You wouldn't believe what a frugal tightwad cheapskate tightwad I am.

The knucklehead voters rejected a tightwad* who could probably have called your bet and raised it.

* When Mitt Romney was President and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Winter Olympics, he charged Organizing Committee meeting participants a dollar for a slice of pizza. If the pizza served 12, but cost only $8, the Committee made $4. It's not the amount but the MIND SET that such leadership would provide for our country that will be sorely missed for the next four years. It would have been a battle to coerce this government to live below its means, but at least the concept would have started at the top under a Romney administration.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668572 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 7:03 PM
We also talk about birds and music and share youtube videos that particularly strike the depths.
-------------

Snork! I hope 2828 clicked.

arrete

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668577 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 7:11 PM
-------------

Snork! I hope 2828 clicked.

arrete

>>>>>>>
I was wondering when or if someone would say something. :) You're on the ball birdlady, I can count on you. :)

aolfool should click on it too, it's his kind of music.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668594 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 7:47 PM
I clicked on it but was too embarassed to say anything <g>.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668596 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 8:10 PM

No, you're just a true believer of a different faith. - CC

---------------

CC, I just noticed you are sporting a squid. It looks good on you....

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668600 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 8:24 PM
CC, I just noticed you are sporting a squid. It looks good on you...

Speaking of squids, tonight on "Discovery," the subject is "Giant Squid--The Monster is Real." They were talking about it on CNN. The giant squid is very elusive and the footage of it is stunning.

http://tritonsubs.com/triton-blog/dont-miss-giant-squid-the-...

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668603 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 8:31 PM
bighairymike, it's octopii on the ice, not squid. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtE7eFcKvvs

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668611 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 8:51 PM
"we're not likely to just spout stuff."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stuff.

Howie52
You may quote me.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668619 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:26 PM

Here.

The thing is, there's only so much that can be said about how - in a general sense - to achieve it, and pretty much all of has been said several times. So if that were ALL we talked about here, the board would be dead.

We don't mind rehashing it when a new person asks a question, though.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668620 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:27 PM
The thing is, there's only so much that can be said about how - in a general sense - to achieve it, and pretty much all of has been said several times. So if that were ALL we talked about here, the board would be dead. We don't mind rehashing it when a new person asks a question, though.

You'd think the "new" poster would have figured this out himself.

Author: tgrshark13 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668622 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:30 PM
Trey:

I hope you have found the responses to your request as hysterically funny as I have. Clearly there is no interest in retirement planning discussions here. While trying to deny it, they have made it very clear. The blatant lying, bigotry, and group-think demonstrated would surely lead one to question their judgement if they were to comment on retirement issues at all.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668624 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:36 PM
One would never guess from this board that, miracle upon miracles, people compromise to solve important problems every day of the year.

That's okay... from looking at Congress, one would never guess that people have any interest in solving important problems.

They seem to specialize in making important problems worse.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668625 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:37 PM
>>CC, I just noticed you are sporting a squid. It looks good on you...<<

Speaking of squids, tonight on "Discovery," the subject is "Giant Squid--The Monster is Real." They were talking about it on CNN. The giant squid is very elusive and the footage of it is stunning.

http://tritonsubs.com/triton-blog/dont-miss-giant-squid-the-......

------------------------------

Yeah, I saw that as I was laying out my TV strategy for the evening. Unfortunately it lost the showdown with a new episode of Family Guy...

But at 9:00, I am flipping to Discovery Channel for a new (used*) episode of Dual Survival.

*Those rat bastards at DSC get extral mileage out of an episode by showing something one week then mixing in some unseen footage or directos cut or something an then calling it a new episode the following week. They do the same thing with Goldrush too...

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668627 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:40 PM
Do they really have nothing better to do?

In general, no they don't.

Author: TreyAnas One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668628 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:41 PM
Yeah, I've figured that out. The board has exhausted the topic of early retirement.

On the other hand, bashing ideas and people considered left-leaning evidently never gets old for some. Fair enough.

See ya'll later. Trey

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668629 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:43 PM
Trey:

I hope you have found the responses to your request as hysterically funny as I have. Clearly there is no interest in retirement planning discussions here. While trying to deny it, they have made it very clear. The blatant lying, bigotry, and group-think demonstrated would surely lead one to question their judgement if they were to comment on retirement issues at all.
tigershark

>>>>>>>>>>>

he's speaking of his haunt, the PA board, where the sick get sicker.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668630 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 9:44 PM
bighairymike, it's octopii on the ice, not squid. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtE7eFcKvvs

----------------

That was fun and an interesting bit of trivia.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668631 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:01 PM
Trey: I hope you have found the responses to your request as hysterically funny as I have. Clearly there is no interest in retirement planning discussions here. While trying to deny it, they have made it very clear. The blatant lying, bigotry, and group-think demonstrated would surely lead one to question their judgement if they were to comment on retirement issues at all.

Another troll from the PA cesspool. Case closed.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668632 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:03 PM
Yeah, I've figured that out. The board has exhausted the topic of early retirement. On the other hand, bashing ideas and people considered left-leaning evidently never gets old for some. Fair enough. See ya'll later. Trey

What a hoax/troll.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668634 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:25 PM
It's easier to try to impeach motive than it is to confront the merits of an argument.

But the thread didn't start with an argument. It started with a gratuitous slap in the face of all the regular posters - a slap that is easily proven false, by the way.

And that post was the first thing its author ever posted to this board.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668635 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:28 PM
And that post was the first thing its author ever posted to this board. - warrl

----------------

Under that name anyway...

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668636 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:28 PM

No, you're just a true believer of a different faith.

One that actually relies on faith, and believes that faith trumps evidence.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668637 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/27/2013 10:30 PM
As Dave's language points out, personalized attacks--rather than policy criticisms--hold great value here. The more self-righteous, the better.

OK, I had to go back upthread & re-re-re-re-read my post to see if I could glean *ANYTHING* that fits 'icono5's' description...

There was a lot of it implied in the first post in the thread.

The post (and poster) that icono5 is defending from us.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668650 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 12:01 AM
"Trey: I hope you have found the responses to your request as hysterically funny as I have. Clearly there is no interest in retirement planning discussions here." - tigershark

We've all been on this board together for the last 13 years. For the first several hundred thousand posts that is all we talked about. We wore it out.

Now we are living it. Hell some of us are so old some of us have all ready crossed over to the other side.

Seriously, if you have a real retire early question have at it.

Art

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668666 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 8:01 AM
Recommendations: 6
"Trey: I hope you have found the responses to your request as hysterically funny as I have. Clearly there is no interest in retirement planning discussions here." - tigershark

We've all been on this board together for the last 13 years. For the first several hundred thousand posts that is all we talked about. We wore it out.

Now we are living it. Hell some of us are so old some of us have all ready crossed over to the other side.

Seriously, if you have a real retire early question have at it.

Art

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

well, that would be a waste of time because as I pointed out earlier, Trey's profile says he was retired from technology dept. and I asked him particulars around his retirement and didn't read a response from him concerning those details. He's been on Fool since 1998 with very few posts which is always suspicious as far as having another name on here.

Whatever, they come and they go.....and we're still here....retired and chewing the fat....well er, chatting. :)

LD

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668691 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 9:42 AM
"Whatever, they come and they go.....and we're still here....retired and chewing the fat....well er, chatting. :)" - LD

Speaking of, I wonder how Michael Read is doing? God his posts are funny! Especially when he talks about his friend the seagull. Michael is a hoot! I really do sincerely hope he gets better and comes back to us. I think about him a lot.

We are getting to an age now where more and more of us will be having serious health issues. Some of us will disappear and you won't know what happened to us. You know me well enough that if I disappear you can either ask my sister Lindytoes, or contact my wife through her work.

Art

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668742 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 2:34 PM
Whatever, they come and they go.....and we're still here....retired and chewing the fat....well er, chatting. :)

Don't forget about us FIRE wannabes.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668770 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 4:17 PM
Neither side seems all that good at balancing the budget and living within their means.

I totally agree. That's why I gave the generic knuckleheaded comment as opposed to Dem or Rep.

I could do a better job than either party. I'm pretty sure of that.

I'm sure me and you could knock out the budget over a bowl of red beans and rice.

JLC

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668808 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 5:53 PM
"I could do a better job than either party. I'm pretty sure of that." - Art
----------------
"I'm sure me and you could knock out the budget over a bowl of red beans and rice." - JLC

-----------------

LOL! Or some Jambalaya, or Shrimp Etouffee, blackened redfish, or a big bowl of Gumbo! Yum! I love all that Louisana stuff! I think that is why I loved New Orleans when we went down there. All that Creole food is good stuff!

When I worked at the UT Vet School and ran the Lab Animal Facilities Dr. J.B. Jones, who was the department head at the time, really liked me because the animal facilities always came in in the black at the end of the year. I charged the users per diems for their animals and I was careful not to waste money and put all the food and everything out on bid and not blow it on crap like kitty treats and at the end of the year I'd have a big surplus and Dr. Jones would use that money to balance out other people in his department who spent over budget.

The whole time I was running the animal facilities I never overspent. Not once.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668830 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 7:41 PM
"I'm sure me and you could knock out the budget over a bowl of red beans and rice." - JLC

Hey, speaking of New Orleans I noticed on TVguide.com that Anthony Bourdain is going to be in New Orleans tonight on his show The Layover which comes on tonight on the Travel Channel at 8:00 pm Central Time. It looks like it's going to be a pretty good show.

I think Pawn Stars is/are reruns tonight; although I'll probably still watch them. I need to go get a shower and shave now though.

Art

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668839 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 9:58 PM

Don't forget coconut oil and barley grass juice.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668840 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 10:00 PM
like why we are facing inflation and what to do about it

I went to Wendy's today and found out that the 99-cent Junior Cheeseburger Deluxe is now $1.19... Ouch!

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668841 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 10:08 PM
The retire early topic has been done to death, in 1999 it was a new and novel idea, to many it was revolutionary thinking about it, now many of those same people are actually living it out in real-time and it's newness has worn off.

For me it was a "new and novel idea" all the way back in 1988 when Paul Terhorst's book came out. I pulled it off the shelf and devoured it, and it taught me a new way of thinking.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668842 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 10:11 PM

Heh. I saw a news report tonight that said the average American household throws out about $190 worth of food each month. My first thought was, "Art will have heart failure if he hears this." <grin>

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668843 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 10:12 PM

Don't forget coconut oil and barley grass juice.
---------

And chia seeds! I just entered tmeri's chocolate chia seed pudding in my recipe database. I'm a little behind. <g>

arrete

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668844 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 10:12 PM
"Healthy? We got flax seed, low carb eating, exercise lots of healthy stuff"

chicken wings...pizza....and apples!..... plus Chinese food at Chef Wang's and Great Wall Buffet....and the Boston market....

not including avocados .......

and lots of fruits...

and some folks walk miles a day, even through the zero degree temps and snow...and howling Chicago winds...

t.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668847 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/28/2013 10:22 PM
and some folks walk miles a day, even through the zero degree temps and snow...and howling Chicago winds...

Yeah, I'm proud of 2828 for doing that. Andrew's become such a wimp in his old age that he now stays in if the wind chill dips below 10 degrees.

Or if there's freezing rain, like yesterday.

Today it hit 48 degrees and all the ice and snow is now gone. Mid 60s tomorrow -- we might break a record. And then it turns cold again.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668858 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 12:00 AM
"For me it was a "new and novel idea" all the way back in 1988 when Paul Terhorst's book came out. I pulled it off the shelf and devoured it, and it taught me a new way of thinking." - Andrew

-----------

I knew in theory it could be done because of the Economic Development course I took at the University of Georgia when I was thirty years old (it was a graduate course I took while I was working as the lab animal superviser at UGA Pharmacy School) but for me early retirement meant like 55 years old and it was all theory.

After I got laid off from the UT Vet School I found Intercst's Retireearlyhomepage on the internet and it was a real eye opener. Plus I actually got to talk to him and know him through this message board. Just a whole combinations came together and I thought to myself "yeah, I can do this!"

So I put together a plan which was sort of a three stage plan that hinged on me living more frugally at first and then as time went on I'd be getting more money added on that would allow me to relax a little and let up on the frugalness factor.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668859 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 12:04 AM
"Heh. I saw a news report tonight that said the average American household throws out about $190 worth of food each month. My first thought was, "Art will have heart failure if he hears this." <grin> - Andrew
---------

It's just kind of disgusting to me. It's wasteful and almost "sinful" in my way of thinking about life. I mean kids are starving in Africa and we are filling up garbage cans with fried chicken and half eaten pizza.

In my mind food equals money which equals hard work. Somebody had to bust their butt to produce that food. It represents really hard work.

I'm betting that there will come a time when people will wish they could get all that food back. Just because there haven't been any famines lately in the United States doesn't mean they can't happen again. Yellowstone caldera could blow it's top and there would be a lot of hungry people out there.

ARt

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668861 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 12:08 AM
"Today it hit 48 degrees and all the ice and snow is now gone. Mid 60s tomorrow -- we might break a record. And then it turns cold again." - Andrew

Supposed to hit 69 degrees here tomorrow... Yay!

I bought a new printer today at Wal-mart. $34.00. The reason I bought a new printer was because it was cheaper than buying two new ink cartridges for our old printer. Two new ink cartridges for our old printer were $56.00. Cheaper to buy a new printer. I hooked it up and installed it all myself. It wasn't that difficult. I couldn't believe that it worked on the very first try.

Art

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668877 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 7:53 AM
I put together a plan which was sort of a three stage plan that hinged on me living more frugally at first and then as time went on I'd be getting more money added on that would allow me to relax a little and let up on the frugalness factor.

DH and I are more than comfortable yet I'll never let go of frugality. It's too deeply ingrained. You know what is said about habits - maybe when I get tired of it, but I don't think so. It's still a great feeling to stash away more money even in retirement. It's a harmless pursuit and not taken to the point of the ridiculous.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668886 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 9:37 AM
>> This ER board is pretty good and is moderated so if politics are your cup of tea try it out.

<<

I assume you meant if politics are NOT their cup of tea. On that board politics are only permitted if the issue being discussed is directly related to an issue concerning retirement. And even there, "don't be an abusive jerk" policies apply.

(Disclaimer: I'm a moderator on that board.)

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668893 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 10:42 AM
"DH and I are more than comfortable yet I'll never let go of frugality. It's too deeply ingrained. You know what is said about habits - maybe when I get tired of it, but I don't think so. It's still a great feeling to stash away more money even in retirement. It's a harmless pursuit and not taken to the point of the ridiculous." - buffalogal

I bought a pair of Florsheim shoes yesterday at Marti & Liz shoe stores for $26.99. Now you have to understand that I have feet like Sasquatch and it ain't easy finding shoes that fit me. Size 13 - 4E. So I was flabbergasted to find a pair of shoes that fit me. Especially non-tennis shoes type shoes. New Balance makes tennis shoes in different sizes and widths so it's not too difficult to buy athletic shoes but finding just regular dress shoes that I can wear to Church or a funeral it's almost like a Christmas miracle. I had to get them while the getting was good.

I've been wavering back and forth on the TV question for months now. I lust after those fancy big screen TV's at Wal-mart every time I go in there. The problem is we really don't need one. We've got three perfectly adequate TVs and we're only two people. Our largest TV is a 32" in our living room. It has a great picture and we watch it every night but I keep thinking about how good a 46" LG would look in that spot. Sigh! It's not like I can't afford and I can take the money with me when I die.

We don't have kids to leave it to so it's not like we need to have a big stash of cash when we die. I'm going to try and loosen up a bit but it's not easy for me. We splurged on Sunday and went out to Chef Wang's for lunch after church. It was ~ $25.00 for the two of us. I paid cash.

So I know what you mean about not going wild with the money. I still dream about Florida in the wintertime. That would be awesome, not that I ever think it will happen. My wife is perfectly happy staying here - and so far since we moved here the winters haven't been all that bad. Seriously, for the last 7 years our worst winter weather has been like a few inches of snow and that's it.

Art

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668945 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 1:07 PM
I had a weird dream last night, too. I and my family were visiting a dulcimer friend, except the kids were back in their teens - before I had ever heard of dulcimers. And my friend was racing around trying to get food on the table plus she was taking care of 10 abandoned kittens and had to keep feeding them. The strange thing was that I actually knew the correct name for the kitten milk - KMR. Strange to dream something that detailed - and something I haven't thought of since getting out of wildife rehab (we used it for baby raccoons).

arrete

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668979 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 3:24 PM
DH and I are more than comfortable yet I'll never let go of frugality. It's too deeply ingrained. You know what is said about habits - maybe when I get tired of it, but I don't think so. It's still a great feeling to stash away more money even in retirement. It's a harmless pursuit and not taken to the point of the ridiculous.
----------------

I don't think I'm really of a frugal mindset. Rather there just isn't a lot of stuff I want to spend money on. If I did all the cooking, our food budget would probably go down 50% because I like simple stuff as well as fancy. The cod I got yesterday was one of the cheapest fish, and it was gooob.

I don't generally go to movies or other stuff that costs money. But I am perfectly willing to spend money on my musical pursuits.

arrete

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668980 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 3:25 PM
I would luuuuv to give a lot of money away. I would be a joyous philanthropist.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668983 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 3:43 PM
I've been wavering back and forth on the TV question for months now. I lust after those fancy big screen TV's at Wal-mart every time I go in there. The problem is we really don't need one.

Hold back. Of course Wal Mart has those t.v.'s on display. Tempation. Reminds me of that old song. We have two old t.v.'s, too. I mentioned to DH that I'd like to have one of those new ones we saw in Wal Mart. He just said when the old ones die, we'll get a new one. Sigh. Some men are just too sensible, darn it.

DH has the opposite problem with shoes. He's a "B" width and they're hard to find. We did find him a pair of some brand of shoe in a DSW. They were something like 70.00 but they actually fit him so they had to be bought while they were available. We go by need, not want most of the time. It works for us. Congrats, BTW, on your find at a great price.

I dream of Florida, too, and we're going as soon as my cat sitter is back from tending to her dying ex-brother in law. They stayed close after her sister divorced the man. She's a serial divorcee. Cat sitter and her DH love Rory. The DH carries her around on his shoulders. Soon, if I'm ever well enough again we'll hit the road for FLA. Winters have been custom made for retirees there. Being that my parents once lived there, there's an emotional attachment as well.

It's nice to take a break to post/read about the retired life. Hope every one of us can stay the course in a climate of seeming upheaval.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668985 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 3:44 PM
"The strange thing was that I actually knew the correct name for the kitten milk - KMR." - arrete

Kitten Milk Replacer. We bought and used it at the Vet School.

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668987 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 3:48 PM
Hold back. Of course Wal Mart has those t.v.'s on display. Tempation. Reminds me of that old song. We have two old t.v.'s, too. I mentioned to DH that I'd like to have one of those new ones we saw in Wal Mart. He just said when the old ones die, we'll get a new one. Sigh. Some men are just too sensible, darn it.
---------------------------------------------------------
Those 1080p LED sets are getting cheap, but i'm also waiting to replace my picture tube tv's, waiting til they die. I'm especially looking forward to replacing the 19" one in the kitchen with at least a 24" LED, i might even get a box so i can watch it in HD. I use that tv the most in the house. I got a Wal-Mart flyer today, a 24" LED for $140! and a 19" LED for $100! It's getting very tempting!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668993 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 3:55 PM
"The cod I got yesterday was one of the cheapest fish, and it was gooob." - arrete

I think Cod is my favorite fish. It's white and flaky and mild tasting but still has some bite unlike flounder which can be soft and mushy. Cod isn't like Salmon that has a bit of a fishy flavor. Also Cod is more forgiving than Salmon is when you cook it. Cod doesn't dry out as quickly as Salmon does. It really is a wonderful fish.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668997 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 4:02 PM
"Winters have been custom made for retirees there. Being that my parents once lived there, there's an emotional attachment as well." - Buffalogal

My grandfather, who was born in East Prussia in 1887, lived in Tampa, Florida after he retired. We visited him a few times there. I remember when I was about 15 years old I saw his teeth and said "Grandpa you have good teeth!" He laughed and said, "ha ha! You think these are my teeth? You don't live to be 84 years old and still have your teeth!" He was wearing false teeth. He was a little man like my baby sister, same blue eyes and blond hair as her, with squinty blue eyes. He was tri-lingual, having spoken German and Polish from growing up in Prussia and then learning English after immigrating to the United States in 1928. Grandpa fought as a German soldier in WWI against the Russians. I think it was the battle of Tannenberg Forest?

Art

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669053 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 7:25 PM
The whole time I was running the animal facilities I never overspent. Not once.

Art

Can I interest you in a job at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? We need to halt federal overspending.

Mike

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669062 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 7:50 PM
"Can I interest you in a job at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? We need to halt federal overspending." - Mike

First thing is to get us the hell out of the middle east and Afghanistan. What a disaster.

Lift the trade embargo with Cuba. Open the floodgates and flood the island with old rich fat loud mouthed Americans. Talk about changing the way people think.

Close about 3/4's of the bases around the world. Bring all the soldiers home.

Use some of those young men and women to patrol our Southern border.

Legalize marijuana

Go through the budget till it's balanced. Then cut it by 25% and tell them they got to start living below their means till we are no longer in debt.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669098 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 1/29/2013 9:09 PM
First thing is to get us the hell out of the middle east and Afghanistan. What a disaster. Lift the trade embargo with Cuba. Open the floodgates and flood the island with old rich fat loud mouthed Americans. Talk about changing the way people think. Close about 3/4's of the bases around the world. Bring all the soldiers home. Use some of those young men and women to patrol our Southern border. Legalize marijuana. Go through the budget till it's balanced. Then cut it by 25% and tell them they got to start living below their means till we are no longer in debt.

Ron Paul. You may have another opportunity in 2016 with his son, Rand.

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 670845 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 2/8/2013 7:44 PM
go play your music- no retiring for you

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 680140 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 5/1/2013 12:49 PM
Isn't that the same thing? Democrats don't believe in early retirement, too 1%-ish.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688504 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 7/10/2013 1:52 PM
We already caught GoofyHoofy using another moniker, i'm sure they all do it. It's a sickness.

I just happened to see this.

I have never used "another moniker." I don't know what you think you "caught", but as usual with this board, facts don't seem to matter.

I have no other screen names, no doppels, it's just me.

I guess false accusations are nothing new around here, tho, eh?

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688516 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 7/10/2013 3:55 PM
How did you "just happen to see this" six months later?

In any event, I, too, have been accused of having multiple screen names. Weird.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688573 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 7/11/2013 10:27 AM
How did you "just happen to see this" six months later?

I was responding to Radish's post about how he couldn't understand why voter ID laws might disenfranchise some people from voting.

Since I had just answered that question a few weeks ago, I searched for posts by "Goofyhoofy" and a few other words ("campfire", father-in-law" "dad" and something else, I forget) and when the Fool's search engine refused to come up with the post I tried a permutation or combination and that post popped up at the top of the queue, perhaps because arrete used my name IN the post. Presumably that made it more "relevant" to the search engine. (Eventually I found the post I was looking for, along with the one in this thread.)

I don't know why it took several searches, but then the Fool search mechanism is a strange and not wonderful thing. But rest assured I don't regularly page through old posts hereabouts. Heck, I don't regularly post through new posts here, but every once in a while one catches my attention. Usually I just read. Sometimes I respond.

Got it?

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688578 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 7/11/2013 11:20 AM
Got it?

I don't really care, Mr. Goofness.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688602 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 7/11/2013 3:59 PM
Got it?

I don't really care, Mr. Goofness.

Then why did you ask?

You are really strange. And I mean that not in a good way.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688640 of 726078
Subject: Re: Where's the early retirement board? Date: 7/12/2013 2:01 AM
Then why did you ask?

Have you never heard of a rhetorical question? No, it's not always about you, Your Goofness.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (110) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement